Josh Duggar resigns from Family Research Council after sexual abuse allegations

"Josh Duggar, of TLC's '19 Kids and Counting,' resigned his position at the Family Research Council Thursday after reports surfaced that he allegedly sexually assaulted four female siblings in the large family, plus an additional female victim."  Josh Duggar resigns

Related: What You Need to Know about the Josh Duggar Police Report

31885 reads

There are 215 Comments

Crystal's picture

Julie Anne wrote:

My sons are 6 and 2. I don't go around telling them about molestation. Do you?

As a matter of fact, I do, in simple language that they can understand. We have a family member who is a self-admitted pedophile. We know of 20 boys he molested in the States. We know of a few people he molested on the mission field, but who knows the real number.  

If our boys are spending any length of time away from parents, I give them the spiel. They are not allowed to go to public restrooms by themselves and must have a sibling with them. They also know the code sentence that we have gone over many times so that they can call home and get picked up immediately with no questions asked until they are in a safe place. They also know that most abuse occurs with people they know and trust, not a "stranger."  

So, yes, my 5 boys know about sex abuse. They know about safe touch and inappropriate touch. They know that if they ever feel uncomfortable in any situation, they can call and they will be removed from that environment. There is no fool-proof way of protecting our children, but I believe I have done the best to educate my children and warn them of the dangers and what they can do to get themselves out of potentially abusive situations.

 


We have 4 boys.  Ages 7, 6, 5 and 3.  We have fairly frequent conversations about "good touch, bad touch".  We talk to them (In age appropriate language) about sexual abuse and molestation.  I am kinda shocked that that anybody considers that to be odd information to be teaching your children in the day and age that we currently live in.  As they get older I fully plan to institute a similar idea as what is mentioned above-Certain words used in a phone call that mean come get me now and take me somewhere safe where I can tell you what happened.  That is a terrific idea.  Thank you Julie Anne.  We also do not allow our boys to use the public restroom alone.  In fact, they still enter the women's restroom with me if we are in a public place.  I will not risk my son's safety like that.  We also have fairly strict rules even about family.     

Joel Shaffer's picture

Mark_Smith wrote:

Let's say Josh had been investigated before the statute of limitations expired. Let's say he served a year. Let's say we were just now finding out about it (ie they hadn't mentioned it until now). Do you think TLC would not have dropped the show? Do you think the world would not still write "Josh Duggar is a convicted child molester" stories?

Mark, those are good questions that none of us really know the answer.  However, there was not much exercising of discernment by the Duggars in this situation.  In fact, If Josh had gone to a juvi home for a year, there might not have even been a show because it would have tarnished the family's squeaky clean image. However---hypothetically, lets imagine that TLC still went with the show and lets also imagine that Josh Duggar had done time for a year in Juvi as a 14 year old, paying for his child-on-child fondling misdemeanor crime because all of the authority figures (Jim Bob, the church, and the police) did what they were supposed to do (report the crime immediately, connect Josh with Christian counseling-not Bill Gothard cultic moralism). And lets all imagine that several years later it was discovered and plastered all over the social media world.  Yes there would be some that would label him a child molester, yet the media, social media, and the rest of society would not be faulting Jim Bob Duggar, their church, and the police for covering up the crime and showing such little regard for the victims.  I saw one story by USA today that cited reputable studies which show that some 90% of child-on-child abusers do not become repeat offenders.   That fact has been completely overshadowed by the drama of the cover up that the Duggar family, police, and church participated in.  Also, the message of forgiveness, and transformation through Christ in Josh's life will never be given a fair hearing because the cover up calls into question the honesty and integrity of the authority figures (Jim Bob, police, and church) who protected Josh while revealing their dark side which not only failed to protect the innocent victims of Josh, but rather thwarted justice for these innocent victims of this crime that he committed.   

Crystal's picture

Previous comment was made before I realized that there were 3 pages of comments. LOL 

As to the question about why a police report on a minor was made public.... I think what may play into that report being able to be released is that he was 18 when that report was made. (ie. no longer able to have the protection as a minor)  Had the investigation taken place at the time of the offenses I am betting it would never have seen the light of day.    

Joeb's picture

Joel your almost as wise as Bert and Jim   Wow praise the Lord there some people in this forum along with those very wise young ladies who have spoken. Hopefully what is shared here will impact some other church leaders to handle these matters correctly.  Hats off to sharperiron for having this forum.  I was never a huge fan of fundamentals in the way they worship ie  KJV only etc but I have always greatly respected their strong Stance to not compromise to the world. When all these things like the Duggar situation broke I was greatly let down.  It was the last place I would ever expect such sinful stupidity on such animportant matter  and yes it has challenged me to really question my faith. 

Mark_Smith's picture

to educate their kids because the schools are godless, etc... are more than happy to without a shred of doubt turn their 14 year old over to the juvenile justice system and juvenile social services system. All to get "justice" for their daughters... who, by the way, will than likely be taken out of the home as well so they can be "evaluated and treated".

OK.

Have a great Memorial Day everybody.

JC's picture

This thread has devolved into personal attacks, gossip, and assuming the worst without facts.  Even in disagreement, SI use to operate to a higher standard.  Unless the moderators start stepping in, then SI will become just another blog. 

Joeb's picture

If the opinion of Joel me and these young ladies is something in dispute than you have sided on the wrong side. This is clear as a man who robs a Bank and commits murder in the process and the evidence is overwhelming that he did it.  Mark is obviously a big home schooler who would most likely look down in judgment of me or any other christian  sending their children to public school.  He thinks are government is ungodly.  He should get down on his knees every day and thank God he is not in North Korea. Marks christianity appears to be rule based which is legalism.  The Duggars are hypocrites.  They practice the same legalism that It appears Mark practices.  What Jim  Bob Did and the church elders did with Josh is wrong sinful and criminal.  Just because they escaped Justice like OJ Simpson did does not change what they did.  Sean Hannity made the comment at least Josh was not gay.  Again I say I wish he was gay at least no innocents would have been harmed.    You talk like Josh did not do what he did.  He admitted it it.  The facts are not in dispute.  The issue to me is are fundemental Baptist Christians going to stop living by rules.  How long is her skirt.  We can't have boys and girls swimming together.  They can't kiss until their engaged.  They can't listen to music.  These are spirituality by rules that's what the Duggars and Gothards whole operation runs by.  Look where that got Gothard and the Duggars.   If anything Gothard and the Duggars have driven people away from Christ.  You say sharper iron is bad.   I say Sharper iron is allowing the right edge to be put on the sword for fundemental Baptist Christians so they don't let legalism dominate their lives and serve the Lord out of love and not hate. I know our country is under attack by Satan and as voters and American citizens we should vote our hearts and stand up for or rights but that does not mean you spew hate at everyone.  I saw a sign on a Christian Korean church on my way home it said Don't just talk Christ walk Christ.  The Duggars have clearly only talked not walked. When your spewing hate about gays and have been a serial child sex abuser yourself.  That's hypocritical.  If anything he should have a loving heart toward gays since Josh himself struggled and seek to love them and lead them to the Lord.  Christ can change all things and his Holy Spirit can convict and change lives.  This is what Billy Graham believed and practiced.  

Mark_Smith's picture

You said: "Mark is obviously a big home schooler who would most likely look down in judgment of me or any other christian  sending their children to public school.  "

Sorry Joeb, my kids go to public school and I teach physics at a secular public university! GASP!!!!!!!!!!

Jim's picture

Mark_Smith wrote:

to educate their kids because the schools are godless, etc... are more than happy to without a shred of doubt turn their 14 year old over to the juvenile justice system and juvenile social services system. All to get "justice" for their daughters... who, by the way, will than likely be taken out of the home as well so they can be "evaluated and treated".

OK.

Have a great Memorial Day everybody.

We all "trust the government" in degrees. Every time one drives on public highway we "trust the government". 

Since this thread is about the Duggar situation, I note that they have been very involved with the government:

Julie Anne's picture

jimcarwest said:

  I agree that a crime should be reported to the police, but probably few parents consider the curiosity that goes on among siblings about sexual matters a crime that should warrant years in prison for their children.  

 

This was no "curiosity." This was an older brother who woke up his siblings in the middle of the night while they were sleeping. It was not consensual.  So you are questioning whether it should be reported because you're worried about the consequences of the offender, yet where is the consideration for the victims who live in the same house?  While you are debating what to do, they are going to bed each night wondering if tonight is going to be the night that their brother touches them in places where he ought not.  And also keep in mind that in this home, girls are taught to obey older brothers/fathers/men in general. Also, they are taught from Gothard's materials that if they are sexually abused, they are to look at themselves and see what they might have done to cause their brother to stumble (unconfessed sin, dressed immodestly, etc). So it might be a challenge for them to say no or even tell the parents because of the heavy emphasis on submission to males or their own guilt, based on Gothard's ridiculous teaching materials on sexual abuse.  This should have been reported, period. Let the civil authorities investigate with their trained experts.  This is the civil system in which God ordained as per Romans 13:1-5.  

Julie Anne's picture

Mark_Smith wrote:

JimBob is not a pastor.

 

Does anyone know if this is accurate?  JimBob and his family practice family-integrated church with other families. In these churches, an elder is just another name for pastor.  Scott Brown is an elder/pastor. Doug Phillips was an elder/pastor - both in family-integrated churches.  (Doug now goes to a traditional pastor-led church.)

Mark_Smith's picture

I admit I don't know if JimBob is an elder in a family-integrated church. What I meant was that people were making a comparison with JimBob and a "normal" Baptist church of the type a typical SI pastor has. He certainly is not that. What happened in the Duggar family is not the same as happening under your watch as a pastor at XYZ Baptist Church during Sunday School.

Mark_Smith's picture

Can someone tell me why people who despise the public education system so much that they create private Christian schools and homeschool, etc, are so enamored and trustful in the juvenile justice system and the social workers system?

By this I mean to you trust the juvenile system to protect your 14 year old son in incarceration from being raped himself? Or being filled with humanist ideas? Or introduced to drugs? Or getting too close to "real" hardened juvenile criminals?

Also, your daughters who were abused will face counseling by humanist psychologists and social workers... does that sound good to you? Maybe they will declare you an unfit parent for allowing this crime to happen and rip the girls away from you? It has happened before.

Joeb's picture

Julie Ann it's hard to pin Marks true background and where he's coming from. Obviously he stands with the Duggars but does not quite commit.  Only plays the Devils advocate here.  Bottom line Julie Ann is your right.  Also there was some new info that came out that according to the incident report when the Jim Bob reported Josh  to the State Trooper.  Jim Bob said there was only one victim and Josh only fondled her through her cloths one time.   So Jim Bob downplayed the natter right from the start.  Also you kind of wonder if someone in church knew this Trooper would not do anything.  Hence in the future punish the parents the church members and leaders for not reporting and have minimum mandatory terms of  5 years. Have a 10 to 15 statute of limitation on the non reporting offense.  This would go a long way to these matters being correctly reported.  As I have said before treat the non reporters like Johns. 

Julie Anne's picture

As far as I am concerned, I am no longer convinced that there was true repentance.  Here is something I wrote elsewhere:
 

I think we need to revisit this repentance thing that Josh Duggar and his parents claimed happened after the sex abuse of 5 minors came to light. Think about it. What does repentance look like? Repentance is about giving up your rights. It's about focusing on the healing/recovery of those you have harmed. You don't defend yourself anymore. Duggar parents claimed that there was forgiveness and repentance and they all got closer as a family and to God, 

So, tell me, does repentance look like this: 19 year old Josh Duggar sued Arkansas Department of Human Services because they were investigating his abuses.

A repentant person would accept any and all consequences related to their sin/crime. I do not see the fruit of repentance in Josh Duggar in suing Arkansas DHS, 

Jim's picture

Why did Republicans embrace the Duggars in the first place?

I don’t join in the Schadenfreude on the left over the latest case of hypocrisy among family-values conservatives, or take any delight in the discovery that the Duggars, who find immorality in homosexuality, abortion and out-of-wedlock sex, have more disturbing questions of morality in their own home. What’s troubling is that the Republican presidential candidates have been so worshipful of the Duggars in the first place. The political issue is not what Josh Duggar did as a teenager but why so many who seek the nation’s highest office feel the need to woo people who are so far out on the ideological extreme.

A quarter of Americans are evangelical Christians, but only a small fraction of them are like the Duggars. Only 3 percent of American kids are home-schooled, as the Duggars are. Only 7 percent of Americans think using birth control is morally objectionable, as the Duggars do. As for the percentage of Americans who favor arranged-in-all-but-name marriages? The answer is so obvious there’s no need to ask the question.

The Duggars have often been associated with, and claimed by, the Quiverfull movement, a Christian patriarchy sect proposing that women must obey and submit sexually to their husbands and should eschew birth control and embrace their “high calling” as wives, mothers and homemakers. The Duggars have said they are not affiliated with the movement, but their views are very similar and they have used the same biblical verse that is the basis of the Quiverfull movement to justify their belief in having as many children as God will give them.

Quiverfull followers speak of having children to “out-populate” their secular opponents. Dating is not allowed, and fathers supervise courtship. In the Duggar TV series, unmarried women must give “side hugs” – not frontal ones.

So why do mainstream conservatives give the family such a full frontal embrace? In addition to being wooed by GOP presidential candidates, the Duggars have been featured at conservative gatherings, and Josh Duggar held a top post at the Family Research Council, a powerful conservative group in Washington.

The answer seems to be that they are so eager to associate themselves with famous conservatives that they don’t pause to examine the beliefs of their would-be endorsers. The embrace of other bizarre figures in the conservative movement has caused heartburn similar to the Josh Duggar scandal for GOP officeholders – such as when Ted Nugent called President Obama a“subhuman mongrel,”

 

jimcarwest's picture

Julie Anne wrote:

As far as I am concerned, I am no longer convinced that there was true repentance.  Here is something I wrote elsewhere:
 

I think we need to revisit this repentance thing that Josh Duggar and his parents claimed happened after the sex abuse of 5 minors came to light. Think about it. What does repentance look like? Repentance is about giving up your rights. It's about focusing on the healing/recovery of those you have harmed. You don't defend yourself anymore. Duggar parents claimed that there was forgiveness and repentance and they all got closer as a family and to God, 

So, tell me, does repentance look like this: 19 year old Josh Duggar sued Arkansas Department of Human Services because they were investigating his abuses.

 

A repentant person would accept any and all consequences related to their sin/crime. I do not see the fruit of repentance in Josh Duggar in suing Arkansas DHS, 

 

In your zeal to destroy Josh, you have now placed yourself in the place of  God.  You are making up your own definition of repentance.  The word means "genuine sorrow that results in a change of attitude and behavior."  All you know about Josh is what you have read from a report that was hell-bent on doing harm to the Duggars, while professing to protect innocent victims.  I personally have no confidence in the blog "In Touch" and the objectives they have in reporting on this incident.  If Josh is supposed to have filed a lawsuit against the ADHS, why don't you produce the document and prove the reasons for the lawsuit,  Did Josh have some reason to feel he needed the protection of law against the ADHS?  I don't know.  Do you?  Can you produce some statement by the girls who were molested?  Or is it sufficient to put words in their mouths and go on that?  Some are calling the touching of private parts the same as rape and incest.  Neither of those activities occurred in this situation, yet you have used these words to exacerbate the charges against Josh.  I am not defending anything Josh did wrong.  I am insisting that none of us owns the right to act as judge, jury, and executioner.  We just know too little to assume that responsibility.  It just may be that some who are the most vocal on this thread have themselves suffered molestation at some time in their lives or speak on behalf of someone very dear to them who has suffered, and they are going to excess in expressing themselves in an emotional way on the issue.  Now that this case is fully known to the authorities, we ought to let the matter be decided by them.  If anyone is to rise up in disgust and demand further action, it ought to be the girls themselves who have suffered the abuse.  If they remain silent, we ought to respect their judgment as adults.

jimcarwest's picture

Jim wrote:

Why did Republicans embrace the Duggars in the first place?

I don’t join in the Schadenfreude on the left over the latest case of hypocrisy among family-values conservatives, or take any delight in the discovery that the Duggars, who find immorality in homosexuality, abortion and out-of-wedlock sex, have more disturbing questions of morality in their own home. What’s troubling is that the Republican presidential candidates have been so worshipful of the Duggars in the first place. The political issue is not what Josh Duggar did as a teenager but why so many who seek the nation’s highest office feel the need to woo people who are so far out on the ideological extreme.

A quarter of Americans are evangelical Christians, but only a small fraction of them are like the Duggars. Only 3 percent of American kids are home-schooled, as the Duggars are. Only 7 percent of Americans think using birth control is morally objectionable, as the Duggars do. As for the percentage of Americans who favor arranged-in-all-but-name marriages? The answer is so obvious there’s no need to ask the question.  

The Duggars have often been associated with, and claimed by, the Quiverfull movement, a Christian patriarchy sect proposing that women must obey and submit sexually to their husbands and should eschew birth control and embrace their “high calling” as wives, mothers and homemakers. The Duggars have said they are not affiliated with the movement, but their views are very similar and they have used the same biblical verse that is the basis of the Quiverfull movement to justify their belief in having as many children as God will give them.

Quiverfull followers speak of having children to “out-populate” their secular opponents. Dating is not allowed, and fathers supervise courtship. In the Duggar TV series, unmarried women must give “side hugs” – not frontal ones.

So why do mainstream conservatives give the family such a full frontal embrace? In addition to being wooed by GOP presidential candidates, the Duggars have been featured at conservative gatherings, and Josh Duggar held a top post at the Family Research Council, a powerful conservative group in Washington.

The answer seems to be that they are so eager to associate themselves with famous conservatives that they don’t pause to examine the beliefs of their would-be endorsers. The embrace of other bizarre figures in the conservative movement has caused heartburn similar to the Josh Duggar scandal for GOP officeholders – such as when Ted Nugent called President Obama a“subhuman mongrel,”

 

If the Duggars say they don't belong to or subscribe to the Quiverfull Movement they should be taken at their word.  The fact that they quote the passage in Psalms where, when speaking of the family and children, it says "blessed is the man that has his quiver full of them,"  does not incriminate them.  That same Scripture has been quoted by most pastors and Christian leaders innumerable times to speak of the blessing of children.  Remember:  Bible-believing Christians have disagreed with the use of chemical and artificial birth control from time immemorial.  

As for dating, courtship, and the physical involvement of non-married couples, what the Duggars practice does seem out-of-date, but a hundred years ago, their philosophy was widely accepted and practiced.  So who has moved?  I don't personally subscribe to the details of their views, but their right to hold to this practice should be respected and not ridiculed.  It seems to have worked for them.  Molestation, that has apparently happened in their family, may happen in any family.  Whether the parents did anything different from what multitudes of parents might have done is not clear.  Many of the comments posted on this site have been excessively judgmental, especially in light of the fact that the "victims," who are now adults, have remained silent.  Whatever strong opinions and emotions that relate to molestation seem to have been imposed upon this particular case.  We need a little more time and insight before dogmatic opinions can be formed.

Mainstream conservatives have given the Duggars "a frontal embrace" mainly because they have generally represented a high view of morality, the appearance of happiness in this large family, their devotion to standing on their own feet and providing for their own, and their positioning of themselves in the conservative, political movement.  That they have some failure in their family is no cause for rejection of them by conservatives, nor for rejoicing by those who abhor reality TV.  Just today, the former Speaker of the House, Dennis Hastert, has been charged with crimes.  Shall conservatives be held responsible for what may have been found that is objectionable in his life.  Certainly, no Democrat stands on solid ground for condemning conservatives, while at the same time they give a pass to a long line of moral perversions in their own camp.

The liberal media is prone to dig up and expose any faults among conservatives while at the same time ignoring and overlooking far more gross sins among their own.  With time, some of the so-called scandals on which the media has capitalized have been discovered to be non-existent.  E.g. Newt Gingrich, Tom Delay, etc.

Conservative Christians:  don't panic; stay cool; let time reveal the truth; stand by your own; let God be true, and every man a liar!  

 

 

 

 

 

jimcarwest's picture

Jim wrote:

Newt Gingrich? Really? This man is some sort of moral hero? Thrice married! Catholic (former Baptist)

 

So did the general public think of Gingrich as a pervert?  Is that why the non-conservatives attacked him? This is the point of the discussion 

Julie Anne's picture

Some are calling the touching of private parts the same as rape and incest.  Neither of those activities occurred in this situation, yet you have used these words to exacerbate the charges against Josh. 

It was incest which is criminal behavior, but his parents prevented Rom 13 process and the civil courts to intervene. I hope you are not a pastor because your minimization of criminal behavior is horrifying. I can't imagine a victim hearing those words - - that Josh Duggar did not commit incest when he snuck in their rooms at night and sexually groped them. The age differential is telling. In Duggar world, girls submit to men and Josh was their older brother. They would be expected to submit to him. Please, think clearly.

When pastors, parents, people in a position of authority fail to respond appropriately to sex abuse, it can have life-long effects for the victims because not only have they been victimized once sexually, but they have been emotionally, spiritually abandoned by those in a position of trust. Please do not make that mistake.  

I highly recommend any pastor/leader/parent/adult to take a look at this so you will be equipped on how to properly respond. Please listen to an expert:  Josh Duggar & Sibling Sex Abuse: 'Don't Ignore It'

 

 

jimcarwest's picture

I would not for one minute minimize the wrong of molesting a child.  My point  was to stick to the legal definition of "rape" and "incest," which I now include for your benefit from the dictionary:

rape:  1 the crime, typically committed by a man, of forcing another person to have sexual intercourse with him without their consent and against their will, esp. by the threat or use of violence against them

incest:  sexual relations between people classed as being too closely related to marry each other; the crime of having sexual intercourse with a parent, child, sibling, or grandchild.

I am glad that you are not a pastor because you show a tendency to jump to unwarranted conclusions that lack sufficient investigation by the authorities (who  obviously failed).  Neither do you know how the parents counseled the children.  It appears you have imposed upon the girls the emotional response you might have had.  Quite obviously, as in all cases that are judged before coming to trial, many conclusions are reached that may be erroneousl 

I do accept that pastors and people in authority have a responsibility to respond appropriately to sex abuse, but the abused parties are required to allege abuse and accuse the abuser before the authorities can pursue legal action.  In this case someone failed.  Something similar happened with the young girls in ABWE, which was examined by GRACE.  Until they came forward, nothing could be done.  Even if a statue of limitations is in force, these girls could publicize their complaint and punish their brother and their parents in the media.  They do not seem to wish to do so, and that leaves a lot of people like all of us to conjecture, analyze, accuse, and pontificate in general about sexual abuse.  It is a sad case.  Let  us not forget that the liberal media really is not honestly concerned with more than condemning Christians and selling copy.  These children need much prayer.  And all parents need to take notice and educate their children of the dangers of abuse.

Honestly, I can't see much more that could be said than all of us have written.  We are all the same ones going back and forth.  Maybe it's time to lament the situation and let God work out His will for the Duggars.  

 

Bert Perry's picture

Joeb wrote:

Your point is well taken but I'm not the only one in this forum who feels Mark is backing what the Duggars did.  Huckabee has weighed in and down played the matter and indicated that the Duggars handled it correctly.  We are repeating history here the same old song Fundamental Pastors or Christian leaders covering up and protecting terrible criminal things against poor innocent young ladies.  It is hard to swallow such behavior coming from people claiming to be Christians.  It has rocked me to the core and that includes an attitude by my own brotherinlaw, who is a Fundamental Christian pastor and leader at a Baptist college.  This whole situation strongly makes me question my own Christianity  and whether Christ is what he say he is when such evil can come from men claiming to be Christians and doing such evil that even the non Christian world can see.  Are these Christians that blind and yet point their fingers at gays.  Help me here Bert.  I'm ready to throw in the towel on my faith.  Its hard for me to understand Christians doing the above actions. 

Joe, the quick answer is that we're sinners--this reality ought to remind us of the centrality of the Gospel, no?  So ironically, this kind of scandal ought to refresh our faith, not challenge it.  And regarding "you're not the only one that views Mark's comments as such", well...I'm going to have to suggest that part of what's going on is that we're trained to "bay on sight" like a hunting hound at this.  We're cued for hysteria--and we'll treat inappropriate touch/fondling as if it were forcible rape, and any plea for reason will be ignored.

Ignore that training we've all received, dear brother.  And note as well that what's going on in fundagelicalism is that it's our turn to find out that abuse is going on in our camp, just like the  Boy Scouts, public schools, Catholics, government types (e.g. Denny Hastert allegedly), and the like have found.  And we need to make a serious thought of what specific to the Duggars might be a contributing factor--Gothard, lots of kids, whatever.

That said, the stats I've seen indicate that about 1 in 30 men have committed some level of sexual assault (ranging from inappropriate touch to forcible rape), so it is worth noting that the Duggar case is only a minor outlier, statistically speaking.  So while I'd argue that the legalism of Gothard may lead to increased problems, I cannot prove it statistically from this case alone.

One final note is that I do not think that a youthful crime prevents Josh Duggar from ever getting a responsible position, even in the church.  Yes, it's defined as a felony by many states, but I'd have to guess that the long term emotional/spiritual/etc. impact of what he did is not exactly the same as that of forcible rape, and that his motivations in what he did are very different as well.  Punishment, yes, lifelong prohibitions, no.

Aspiring to be a stick in the mud.

Bert Perry's picture

To Joel for giving his perspective on the results of Juvenile hall, where Josh Duggar likely would have gone had he been convicted of what he did in a court of law.  I had the thought that sometimes it could actually train a young person how to commit crime, but suffice it to say I'm glad that there is another side to it, hopefully the dominant side.

Aspiring to be a stick in the mud.

Jim's picture

http://www.intouchweekly.com/posts/josh-duggar-chilling-molestation-conf...

Josh Duggar confessed to his father Jim Bob Duggar on THREE separate occasions to multiple acts of sexual molestation against his sisters and a family friend, according to a new police report

..

The new report is from the Washington County Sheriff’s Office and was obtained by In Touch using the Freedom of Information Act. In Touch broke the story about Josh’s dark past and previously obtained and published a Springdale Police Department report about the molestations, also by using FOIA.

With fewer redactions than the first report, the Washington County Sheriff’s document makes it clear that despite Josh’s chilling confessions the Duggars waited at least 16 months before contacting authorities about the molestations, even though the behavior was continuing and growing worse. During that period they did not get professional counseling for Josh or his victims.

Pages