Where are Southern Baptist leaders headed re: homosexuality?

"Conflicting views on statements related to homosexuality and reparative therapy have emerged following a just-completed Southern Baptist meeting in NashvilleConflicting views on statements related to homosexuality and reparative therapy have emerged following a just-completed Southern Baptist meeting in Nashville"

Mike Harding's picture

Read most of the original articles related to this.  Alarming that Mohler would repent of previously not acknowledging the legitimacy of sexual orientation.  The Bible does not attribute homosexual sin to a natural sate of birth.  Quite the opposite.  Several times Paul says they are forsaking the natural use of the man and woman---that this sin is against nature (Rom 1:18-32).  Paul echoes the same truth in 1 Cor 11 “does not even nature itself teach you” regarding the differences between men and women. He reminds us that males being effeminate is sinful (1 Cor 6). Once you give in on orientation as a natural state equal to race, then the race card will be thrown, and you will be considered legitimate bigots.  Mohler knows this.

It is not right to dialogue with gay Christian groups.  Those who practice sexual sin and give approval of such will not inherit the KOG (Rom 1, Gal 5, 1 Cor 6).  Our tone has to be Scriptural and Christ-like, I agree, particularly when witnessing to someone practicing sexual sin.  Nevertheless, change of tone has led to change of position.  How far will it go.  Are we going to grant orientation to pedophiles, necrophiliacs, bestial behavior as well?  How about orientation to murder?  That was Cain’s problem.  You can think murderous thoughts and hate your brother in your heart as long as you don’t actually kill somebody.  I think Jesus talked about that.  The disposition to sin is sin and we must agree, admit, ask forgiveness,  and act to turn in our hearts and bodies from sin.  I don't think you will hear John MacArthur saying these kinds of things.  Russell Moore scares me, and I wonder if he is influencing his previous mentor.

Pastor Mike Harding

Ron Bean's picture

Could it be that there is a difference between "same-sex attraction" and "homosexuality"? The first being a temptation; the second, yielding to the temptation.

"Some things are of that nature as to make one's fancy chuckle, while his heart doth ache." John Bunyan

Chip Van Emmerik's picture

Mike Harding wrote:

The key point that gets clouded when "orientation" is conceded is that man is not simply sinful, he is a sinner. We are not condemned by God because we do thing which have identified us as rebels, but because we are innately sinners who act on our immaterial dna by committing sins. Salvation is about dealing with our sinfulness, not our sins. Even if orientation were true (and I don't believe it is), it would not be a shield. Thus, "The disposition to sin is sin and we must agree, admit, ask forgiveness, and act to turn our hearts and bodies from sin."

Why is it that my voice always seems to be loudest when I am saying the dumbest things?

Chip Van Emmerik's picture

Ron Bean wrote:

Ron, I think the problem that is left untouched by simply calling it a temptation is the failure to recognize the lust (inordinate desire) that makes it a temptation in the first place. I think this is where verses like Psalm 37:4 come to bear. Part of the sanctification process, the purging of sin and being set apart to godliness, is to change our desires so that they also become Christ-like (Romans 8:29).

Mike Harding's picture

Sexual attraction is a gift of God (Genesis 1-2; Eph 5; 1 Cor 7:1-6).  Unnatural sexual attraction is perversion (Lev 18-22).   Nothing new here.  It's been going on for thousands of years. A number of months ago I discussed this issue at the lunch table with Dr. Mohler.  He made no excuses or allowances for same-sex attraction.  He then addressed a small group of believers in an extemporaneous speech about the issue and condemned the same-sex marriage proponents in the strongest of terms.  That was six months ago.  This is a definite change in disposition.  Re-read his two presentations at Salt-Lake City.  In his desire to avoid "red-neck theology" he has made a major concession. It appears that the only one doing any repenting at this conference is Al Mohler himself.  Haven't heard about any repentance from the pro-gay Christian groups who attended.

Pastor Mike Harding

JohnBrian's picture

Mike Harding wrote:
I would like to see a direct quote from Mohler before I accept the words of the author of this article about what Mohler said.

The article by Butts, quotes Vicari, who may have read more into what Mohler said than he actually said.

It appears the discussion was about the value of reparative therapy, so both Mohler and Moore's comments may have had to do more with that issue than sexual orientation itself.

Mike Harding wrote:
A number of months ago I discussed this issue at the lunch table with Dr. Mohler.  He made no excuses or allowances for same-sex attraction.  He then addressed a small group of believers in an extemporaneous speech about the issue and condemned the same-sex marriage proponents in the strongest of terms.  That was six months ago.  This is a definite change in disposition.

I was writing the above while you were posting this.

This sounds more like Mohler and seems to indicate that Vicari is not representing him correctly. The other option is that in the short span of 6 months he completely changed his view. I am not buying that!

CanJAmerican - my blog
CanJAmerican - my twitter
whitejumaycan - my youtube

Mike Harding's picture

Apparently, the word from the big conference Russell Moore oversaw last week is that the SBC is moderating on the whole LGBT issue.  Here's an article from last Friday in RNS.

Note the comments about Albert Mohler and how he is quoted: Even the Rev. R. Albert Mohler Jr., the veteran culture warrior and president of Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, Ky., seemed to have a change in tune, if not an outright change of heart.

“Early in this controversy, I felt it quite necessary, in order to make clear the gospel, to deny anything like a sexual orientation,” Mohler told the crowd. “I repent of that.”

Matthew Vine's tweet about Mohler is interesting, "Finally had the chance to meet w/ @albertmohler this morning. Appreciate his willingness to dialogue & continue the conversation."

Here's another commentary from RNS:

This quotation from the article pretty much summarizes this opinion piece: "And while Southern Baptists seem to be moving past same-sex marriage as a culture war issue, they’re not moving past their opposition to homosexuality. Among the various speakers, there were certainly mixed messages."

Yet the conference was remarkable for two notable shifts: a change in tone — call it a kinder, gentler opposition to homosexuality — and a pragmatic concession that the fight over gay marriage is largely lost.

Pastor Mike Harding

RickyHorton's picture

Mike Harding wrote:

It is not right to dialogue with gay Christian groups...Our tone has to be Scriptural and Christ-like, I agree, particularly when witnessing to someone practicing sexual sin.

How do you reconcile these two sentences?  How are we to witness without dialogue?  Snubbing your nose at them and refusing to talk with them hardly seems to be what Christ did.

Mike Harding's picture

Ricky,  there is a huge difference between witnessing to a person and entering into theological dialog with gay-Christian organizations.

Pastor Mike Harding

Shaynus's picture

We are born in sin. We are sinners deep down, and I think that means even to our genes. It is not inconsistent to say that some are born with proclivities to sin (whether genetic proclivities or environmentally created ones or a mix) AND to say we are responsible for those proclivities to God and are damned because we're sinners justly and rightly.

In Romans 1, Paul does talk about what is unnatural, but I think that he's making an argument from nature in that "the parts don't fit." He's not making an argument about what fallen humans naturally do. He's actually making the argument that fallen humanity falls into an ever deeper cycle of sin, and I don't think it follows that there is no role to play in our genetic dispositions. What do you think about that Mike?

RickyHorton's picture

Pastor Harding, I don't see a difference.  Your opportunity to witness to one of them individually will be severely hindered if they see you refusing to enter into a theological dialogue with an organization of which they are apart.  A theological discussion sounds like a great opportunity.  It can be done effectively if approached in the right manner.

Mike Harding's picture

Ricky, in my understanding a gay-Christian organization is in apostasy; therefore, I couldn't enter into theological dialog with it.  However, I could individually witness to any person regardless of their circumstance, lifestyle, or beliefs.  Theological dialog with apostate Christian organizations usually leads to compromise along the Hegelian paradigm:  Thesis, antithesis, synthesis.  I think this conference points that out to some degree and future meetings will only increase it.  Theoretically, you have a reasonable point.  Practically, the conservatives seem to be the ones who do the repenting.

Pastor Mike Harding

RickyHorton's picture

The problem I see with this is that Christians often get pumped up about debating an evolutionist.  We praise the Lord that we are able to spread the Gospel in that type of environment.  We are happy to have theological discussions with denominations or religions that believe differently than we do.  However, when it comes to homosexuality our treatment of them (or lack of addressing them) tends to put us in the same category as the "preacher" in NC that wanted to throw them inside an electric fence and drop them some food every now and then.  I know this is not what you intend but it is certainly the perception that is given to them when we refuse to even talk with them. To say that "It is not right to dialogue with gay Christian groups" is just taking it too far and is not backed by Scripture.  Furthermore, the fact that someone else caved and compromised does not warrant a complete isolation or untouchable approach (think the caste system).  It should mean the exact opposite....there is even more of a need now for them to hear the truth.

Mike Harding's picture

Shaynus,

Paul attributes human corruption to not honoring God and their foolish hearts being darkened (Rom 1:21).  Therefore, God gave them over to their sinful desires to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another (v. 24).  They exchanged the truth of God for a lie.  Because of this God gave them over to shameful lusts, exchanging natural relations for unnatural ones, inflamed with lust for one another, committing indecent acts (men with men; women with women) and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their perversion. It is because they did not retain the knowledge of God that God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what ought not to be done, and eventually approve of those who do the same things. The bodies are not the cause of the sin, but rather are the means of the sin and receive the consequences of the sin.  The body itself is not inherently sinful and therefore can be presented to God (Rom 12:1-2).

Paul uses the term “exchange” to depict the tragic reversal in sexual practice as that which is “against nature”.  As Moo argues, Paul is using the words “nature” and “natural” to describe the created order and the way things are by their intrinsic state at birth.  Jewish authors often used “nature” or “natural law” as a divine mandate applicable to all people.  Violating natural law was a clear transgression of God’s will.  Heterosexual desires observed normally in nature are traced back to God’s created order.  Paul is appealing to the created order applicable to all people.  Paul associates homosexuality with the perversion of the true knowledge of God.  Sexual perversion may indeed be God’s punishment in and of itself.  Paul describes their desire as “they burned in their desire, men with men, doing that which is shameful and receiving in themselves the just penalty.”  God could not allow his created order to be so violated without there being a just punishment. Sexual immorality, particularly that which defies nature, natural law, and the created order, has its roots in the rejection of the true God in favor of gods of their own making.

Pastor Mike Harding

wkessel1's picture

I think one of the major differences between debating with evolutionist and a theological dialog with gay Christian group is the premise that there is some common ground and we can come to some level of agreement.  The evolutionist isn't saying he is a pro-evolution Christian and that we can have common theological ground together.  He is saying science says you Christians are wrong and we don't agree.  Theological dialog would seem to be more akin to we can agree about certain aspects but we are going to differ on the specifics where Scripture may not be as clear.  I don't see how that can be done, when just the idea of "pro-gay" Christian is against Scripture.

RickyHorton's picture

wkessel1 wrote:

Are you saying that having common ground makes it more difficult to speak with them?  I'm not sure I understand.

wkessel1's picture

I won't say more difficult to speak with.  When I think of a theological dialog, there is a common ground of Scripture that each have.  As Pastor Harding pointed out a pro-gay group would be considered apostate, so I don't think what you could have a theological dialog with them.  Maybe more of a debate, since it would be debating a non-Scriptural position with a Scriptural one.  I guess the difference comes down to dialog vs. debate.  Just my thinking on the matter.

Mike Harding's picture

Ricky, if you want to discuss these issues with Gay-Christian organizations, feel free.  I would rather do so with individuals.  I think I would be more successful in communicating God's word and my intent. Over the last 36 years of being a fulltime pastor, I have talked to dozens of practicing homosexuals about the Lord and have won several to the Lord and have also helped believers who had temporarily fallen into homosexual sin.  The media observers of this conference comment on the shift in the SBC, particularly Moore and Mohler.

Pastor Mike Harding

Greg Long's picture

It all depends on what a person means by "sexual orientation." Obviously, if a person means "I am born that way, I am that way, and I can't help myself," then none of us would see that as Scriptural, and I don't think Mohler would either. If a person means, "I have certain temptations, certain tendencies, you might even say a certain orientation to same-sex attraction that I didn't ask for, don't understand, and constantly battle" [as I have had men say to me], then that is NOT sin unless they give in to temptation in thought or deed. I'm going to give Mohler the benefit of the doubt, based on everything he has said and done up to this point, that that is what he talking about when he talks about SSA/SSO.

-------
Greg Long, Ed.D. (SBTS)

Pastor of Adult Ministries
Grace Church, Des Moines, IA

Adjunct Instructor
School of Divinity
Liberty University

Matthew J's picture

First, I personally had a hard time reading the onenewsnow.org article because it was not reporting so much as scolding and that irritates me about a news site, but oh well, they all do that. Second, I believe we ought to wait and allow Mohler and Moore to clarify and qualify. I too find myself in agreement that reparative therapies probably don't work most of the time and even if they do, I believe them to be unbiblical. The goal is sanctification in Christ-likeness regardless of the sinful struggle, not to simply turn the lust from men to women (or vice versa).

Yet I think it very important that Christians talk clearly about what "natural" means both in general and in the context of Romans 1. Yes, homosexuality is unnatural, but so is pedophilia, beastiality, S&M, etc. But wasn't Jesus also teaching in the Gospels that adultery is unnatural, polygamy unnatural when he said, "it was not so from the beginning"? and that in the beginning (natural state) God made them one male and one female. The only "natural" sexual expression is one man +one woman for one lifetime in the covenant of marriage. Frankly, the only thing that is natural before God is sex in the marriage bond for a lifetime. This of course does not mean that there are not various levels of sexual deviancy and depravity and that somehow there is not greater expressions of rebellion and sinful sexual gratification any more than though anger and murder are both sin, one is obviously a greater expression of the depraved nature of a man. That is what I believe Romans 1 to be addressing. That man's rebellion grows deeper and deeper evidenced by the increasing slide of angst against God, finally manifesting itself in throwing off the natural use of the woman and the man. That is using the sexual components God has given in a most rebellious and overtly depraved way. To burn in lust toward the same gender (not just to find oneself attracted toward the same gender). IOW, I think Romans 1 is more than desires and temptions, but is describing rebellion against God as Creator. I get the feeling by some Christians (not anyone writing on this board, please don't misread me) that heterosexual lust is to preferred over homosexual lust. I wonder at this...is not all lust depraved and to be hated?

The bottom line is that homosexual lust, while not categorically the same as heterosexual lust must be dealt with Biblically as lust either way and therefore; I believe we do a disservice to our struggling brothers or sisters when we seek to change the nature of the temptation (reparative therapies) rather than give them spiritual tools to fight the temptation however it manifests itself. This was what I thought when reading what Dr. Moore and Mohler were expressing. This is how I have sought to counsel those with both struggles, to give them the gospel and then teach them the gospel identity according to Ephesians. I tell them that their homosexual desires are not God's ordered design as none of our sexual desires outside of the covenant of marriage are God's ordered design. I tell them that in a sense, their homesexual desire is a mark of a growing cultural and rebellion against God. If they are believers I tell them that they may never stop being attracted to the same gender, but that God provides grace and means in the Word, prayer, and church to struggle against those desires and to embrace singleness as a gift unless they believe they can live in a marriage covenant with a wife openly about their struggles (most cannot, I am aware).

Just my two cents

Mike Harding's picture

Greg, our theological opponents mean by "orientation" that God made them homosexual at birth, that their natural desires are homosexual and therefore are not inherently sinful or contrary to the created order.  The question is how will Matthew Vine et. al. interpret Mohler's public repentance on the concept of sexual orientation?  Contrariwise, heterosexual desire is not inherently sinful or unnatural or contrary to the created order.  Certainly, heterosexual desire can be used sinfully in multiple ways and should be condemned, but the desire itself is a God-given gift, inherent in the created order, to be righteously fulfilled in marriage for the purpose of recreation and procreation.  The same cannot be said of homosexual desire. To equivocate between heterosexual desire and homosexual desire is to violate the created order.

Pastor Mike Harding

Greg Long's picture

Is homosexual temptation in and of itself sin?

-------
Greg Long, Ed.D. (SBTS)

Pastor of Adult Ministries
Grace Church, Des Moines, IA

Adjunct Instructor
School of Divinity
Liberty University

Greg Long's picture

I believe homosexual temptations, inclinations, attractions (even "orientation") are due to a number of complex factors. The best explanation of this that I have read is in Peter Hubbard's Love Into Light: The Gospel, the Homosexual, and the Church. He presents this diagram, not to say that everyone who struggles in this way has all of these influences, but that a combination of these influences may result in homosexual temptations/attractions/sin.

He writes, "The evidence points toward an enigmatic merging of a variety of influences. Certain influences may be real, but not determinative. Our hearts are both vulnerable and culpable. We are swept along, but our hearts are also actively making choices. And we are responsible for those decisions."

I should note that he uses the term Same-Sex Attraction (SSA) throughout the book. It really is a great book and ties both the problem and the solution into the Gospel; I would highly recommend it.

P.S. By "Gay Gene" he does not mean he believes there is such a thing, but that the culture communicates that message and influences a person so that they come to believe they were born that way.

-------
Greg Long, Ed.D. (SBTS)

Pastor of Adult Ministries
Grace Church, Des Moines, IA

Adjunct Instructor
School of Divinity
Liberty University

Mike Harding's picture

I believe that sin is any lack of conformity to the moral law and character of God, either in act, disposition or state [Rom 5:13-14; 7:22; James 4:11-12]. Sin is called an act (Romans 7:19), a disposition/state (Jer 17:9; Ps 51:5; Rom 7:8-10, 17), conscious or subconscious thought (Matt 5:27-28; 15:19), an affection (Exo 20:17; 1 John 2:15-17), an omission (James 4:17), an involuntary act (Luke 12:48; 2 Pet 3:5) or any combination of these. Sin is any being, action, or disposition that is unlike God.

Sin entered the universe as a result of the fall of Satan (1 John 3:8), and sin entered the human race as a result of the fall of Adam (Rom 5:12). Personal, individual sin originates from the human heart (Mark 7:21-23; James 1:14) and is rooted in selfishness and self-autonomy (Isa 14:12-14; 2 Th 2:3-4; Deu 6:4-5). God permitted sin to enter the universe through the free, willful, and uncoerced act of Satan and subsequently of Adam (non-constraining determinism), and it was right for God to do so though the reason will forever remain a mystery to finite creatures (Judges 18:25; Deut 29:29; Prov 25:2).

I believe that Adam's first sin, the one sin of the one man, comprehended the whole human race. Adam acted as the representative of the race, and his sin is immediately imputed to the entire race (original sin - Rom 5:12-19). Depravity, condemnation, and death came to the race as a result of Adam's sin. Hereditary depravity (complex of sinful attributes) issues from the judicial solidarity between Adam and all men (Rom 5:19). Since Adam's sin is imputed immediately to the race, all men are born totally depraved (Rom 3:23; Eph 2:1). Depravity is total in that it has penetrated and affected the entire race (Gal 3:22; Rom 3:10; Psa 14:1-3; 1 Ki 8:46) and the whole of man's being (Isa 1:6; Eph 4:17-19). Depravity has effected man's body (Rom 8:10; Eph 4:19) resulting in entropy and death, man's mind (Titus 1:15; Rom 8:5-7; 1 Cor 2:14), man's will (John 8:34; Jer 13:23) and heart (Jer 17:9). Man, therefore, has the native capability of committing the most vile sins (Rom 1:18ff; 3:10-18). When unregenerate man does "good" via common grace (Gen 6:3; Rom 2:14-15; Matt 7:11), it is for selfish purposes and not for God's glory (Isa 64:6; Matt 6:5; Prov 21:4). Thus, man has no possible means of salvation or recovery within himself and is utterly incapable of meriting God's favor or contributing to his salvation (Matt 19:25-26; Rom 1:18; Rom 7:18; Eph 2:1, 8; Tit 3:5; Heb 12:2).

Pastor Mike Harding

Greg Long's picture

I agree with all that, Mike. But if you are counseling a man who says with tears in his eyes, "I am tempted to lust after other men. I don't know why. I have been this way for as long as I remember. I don't want this temptation. I have pleaded with God over and over and over to take these temptations away. I fight them as best I can." What do you say? Should his temptations be counted as culpable sins?

-------
Greg Long, Ed.D. (SBTS)

Pastor of Adult Ministries
Grace Church, Des Moines, IA

Adjunct Instructor
School of Divinity
Liberty University

Mike Harding's picture

Greg, I agree that most of those influences listed by Peter Hubbard contribute to the problem of homosexual desire and behavior.

Thirty years ago I visited a former youth pastor in the hospital who had served at our church. He was dying from AIDS. It was one of the most excruciating visits and deaths I had ever personally observed. His name was Rich. I shared with him the gospel. He could barely speak. One thing he said to me that I clearly remember: "Why did God make me this way?" He died later that night. The only hope for any sinner, ourselves included, is that we genuinely agree with God about our sin and take responsibility, asking forgiveness, and then by faith turn from sin to Christ. At the very least, we need to admit that our sinful desires and actions are wrong. God will abundantly forgive.

Pastor Mike Harding

CLeavell's picture

One part of Romans 1 that is often overlooked (Mike Harding alluded to this) is that homosexuality along with homosexual desires are not only deserving of God’s judgment but are God’s judgment. Douglas Moo, in his commentary on Romans 2 also captures this thought. Early Christians, such as John Chrysostom, connect homosexuality to opulence, a refusal to acknowledge a Creator God, and unthankfulness for God’s common blessings on all mankind. Americans live at a level of opulence that is unprecedented in the history of mankind.

I have found that the starting point to meaningful change in desires is to reverse Romans 1:21 “because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful…  V24 Therefore God gave them up to…”

So a reverse of Romans 1 would look like this:

Because they knew God and glorified Him as God and were thankful… God guarded their desires and their bodies to do what is honorable… God guarded their passions… God guarded their minds to think and desire in a ways that are proper.

Greg Long wrote:

Let's substitute a few words in that statement Greg:

"I am tempted to lust after other women who are not my wife. I don't know why. I have been this way for as long as I remember. I don't want this temptation. I have pleaded with God over and over and over to take these temptations away. I fight them as best I can."

Is that lust sin?

Even if never acted on overtly?

Greg Long's picture

Of course lust is sin, Don--heterosexual or homosexual. That's not what I was asking. I was asking if the temptation to lust is sin. Do you believe the temptation to heterosexual lust is sin?

-------
Greg Long, Ed.D. (SBTS)

Pastor of Adult Ministries
Grace Church, Des Moines, IA

Adjunct Instructor
School of Divinity
Liberty University

Temptation is external, what you do with the temptation is internal.

I only changed the object in one sentence. The two scenarios are exactly the same as you described them. What you are describing the homosexual saying is sin. Until he sees it as such I doubt he can make much progress to victory.