There Is No Remaining Christian Case for Trump

"Now we’ve seen who he is, we know his impact on our nation, and we’ve seen his influence on the church. This isn’t the 2016 primary, it’s not the 2016 or 2020 general elections. There is no more 'binary choice,'" - David French

2191 reads

There are 34 Comments

Aaron Blumer's picture

EditorAdmin

If an election were held today, I'm not sure I could hold my nose and vote for Josh Hawley or Ted Cruz. By several measures, they're better than Trump. On at least one--let's call it integrity--they might be worse (is it better to support a stolen election hoax because you're semi-delusional or to back it for your own gain, knowing full well it's a lie?). Anyway, I'm glad to see Mike Pence didn't attend Turning Point. (Pence skips Faith & Freedom conference. Is attacked by Trump anyways.)   Right now, he's the only one I could vote for and feel half good about it.

Views expressed are always my own and not my employer's, my church's, my family's, my neighbors', or my pets'. The house plants have authorized me to speak for them, however, and they always agree with me.

dcbii's picture

EditorModerator

As someone who voted for a different candidate in the 2016 primaries than Trump, and who will do so again in 2024, I don't have to "feel" good about my vote in the general election when knowledge tells me I'm still voting for better policies.  I don't govern my decisions by my feelings, and hard choices are a fact of life.

The book of Judges is replete with leaders who are mostly very flawed (except maybe Deborah), who still ended up being better for Israel than the occupying forces.  Samson was a particularly egregious example.  And yet, I'd still vote for him over the Philistines any day, and I'll do so again in 2024 if necessary.  It does me no good whatsoever to vote for a candidate who is personally more acceptable to me but has no chance of winning, and will result in the same type of mess we are facing now in the U.S.  The last 1.5 years of Biden administration policies have certainly not pushed me away from my line of thinking.

Yes, I know.  Pragmatism.  Well, pragmatism isn't always wrong, and I'm certainly not going to follow idealists when the end result is noticeably worse.  Obviously, your conscience needs to be clear about the choice you make.  Mine is.

Dave Barnhart

JD Miller's picture

You summarized my thoughts very clearly. 

Bert Perry's picture

Trump was and is a mess in many ways, but if we judge him by his deeds, he really did pretty well, especially compared to Obama and Biden, both of whom probably belong in jail for how they rigged things.

Going forward, I don't want Trump because of the character issues and because he's simply no spring chicken anymore.  Ron DeSantis is growing on me these days.  

Dunno what to say about Cruz, except that a lot of the steps taken by states, though approved by judges, would seem to reduce vote security, and further that somehow these days both sides seem to feel the need to throw red meat at the furthest out significant portions of the base.  That explains a lot of things said on both sides of the aisle, though at least on the left side of the aisle, I dare suggest that their actions prove they're serious.

Aspiring to be a stick in the mud.

dgszweda's picture

For me the biggest issue is the extreme risk to our democracy.  We came about as close to a coup as I am ever comfortable with.  The fact that Trump is upset that he wasn't able to overthrow the government to me, makes him one of the most dangerous men on the ballot.

dcbii's picture

EditorModerator

dgszweda wrote:

For me the biggest issue is the extreme risk to our democracy.  We came about as close to a coup as I am ever comfortable with.

Yes, if Trump does somehow get the nomination and get elected again, which could certainly happen even when all or most of us on SI vote differently in the primaries, I suspect there will be yet another multi-year effort to subvert the elected leader that involves all levels of government including the DOJ, FBI, etc., to tie him to some conspiracy, maybe China this time instead of Russia, and remove him under false pretenses.

That is indeed a scary thought, but we can cross that bridge if we come to it.

Dave Barnhart

Aaron Blumer's picture

EditorAdmin

To clarify, my remark about feeling halfway good about it wasn't sentimentalism. Feeling also applies to conscience, and in that sense, feelings matter in everything we do.

As for evaluating Trump "by his deeds," people seem to be very selective about that. Breathtakingly selective. Words are deeds, too. Firing people for taking the ethical high road is a deed. Publicly attacking the character of everybody who disagrees with you is a deed. ...and the whole stolen election hoax and events surrounding January 6. Deeds. All with consequences--since we're so focused on those.

 But, lest I be selective in looking at deeds myself, sure--better SCOTUS justices, better economic policy (in general--definitely not uniformly), better executive branch abortion policy and religious liberty policy, and the rapid development of Covid vaccines.

Do these outweigh the damage? It's not easy to answer that because all of Trump's accomplishments are in the realm of coercion--not in a bad sense, but they are rules and requirements. Nearly all of his damage is at a deeper level: principles, ideas, ethics, public discourse, trust in the rule of law, etc.

My own view is that he fed all the culture's cancers and introduced new ones, while getting it to temporarily improve diet and exercise. It's hard to see that as a big win.

Views expressed are always my own and not my employer's, my church's, my family's, my neighbors', or my pets'. The house plants have authorized me to speak for them, however, and they always agree with me.

T Howard's picture

Trump had his chance. He attacked our democratic institutions. He needs to shut up and go back to running his corrupt real estate empire.

But, since he's Trump, he won't.

So, it's going to be Trump v. Biden again. And, Trump is going to lose again.

If he should get reelected, and the democrats keep / regain control of the house, there will be another impeachment (or two).

Dan Miller's picture

1. You talk as though the election was proper and that's a foregone conclusion. The election was very close. Even if it was the only "corruption" present, the illegal and inappropriate use of absentee ballots probably turned it. If you're too lazy to go vote, you shouldn't. If you lack the foresight to request an absentee for yourself, you shouldn't be voting. (That's my opinion AND it's historical voting, so to change it is to unbalance elections.)

2. Tons of stuff about Trump was simply manufactured. Russian collusion? That was the product of his political opponent. The level of hatred toward him is breathtaking.

3. The level of corruption in the current presidency is unbelievable. And the press does. not. care. 

4. They're going to pass off Biden's failure as due to dementia. But it's his stupid policies.

5. We need to STOP paying people not to work. I cannot hire people to work, and I'm offering new workers about what I paid experienced staff 4 years ago. I am constantly dealing with "supply chain" problems. Drugs on back-order, equipment and parts on back-order. Too many people are not working because they have been paid not to. When I say, "too many," it isn't a lot of people - it's a small percent - but it is enough that it upsets the "market" for hiring. Everyone has to pay people more AND they can't produce as much or serve as much. The market is more desperate for what is made. And every product costs more to make it. Those both raise the cost of services and products. It's a cycle of inflation that will impoverish everyone if it isn't stopped. 

6. Trump is a self-centered, pompous, rude, self-indulgent, self-justifying, jerk. And maybe the best president in recent memory. 

7. My wife, while she would vote for Trump, is REALLY hoping he doesn't run again. I get that. There are several that I would kind of prefer to have on the "R" ticket JUST so that hopefully the irrational HATRED people have for Trump wouldn't be a factor again and PERHAPS SI doesn't have to become overloaded with abject stupidity. But, part of me also sees that as giving in to evil political opponents who are willing to lie, cheat, and murder (No, Epstein killed himself) to keep the swamp deep.

WallyMorris's picture

Trump will not be the Republican nominee in 2024, although his effort to become the nominee may split the Party and help Democrats. Modern major political parties do not renominate someone for the Presidency who lost before. Too expensive to take the risk again. Biden will not be the Democratic nominee. His cognitive ability will be worse in 2 years, and Democrats are already making it clear they do not want him to be the nominee. The Democrats do not have anyone who can be a competitive candidate, yet Republicans have several, such as DeSantis. I am well aware of Trump's faults/sins, but if Clinton had won in 2016, Roe v Wade would still be standing precedent today, and other important decisions, such as First Amendment religion protections, would never have happened.

Wally Morris

Charity Baptist Church

Huntington, IN

amomentofcharity.blogspot.com

dgszweda's picture

Dan,

You are probably flavored in your opinion.  As am I probably.

1.  The election wasn't really close.  It was 306 electoral votes to 232.  It wasn't way off, but I wouldn't call it "very close".  There was no widespread voter fraud found.  Not even Trump's inner circle believed there was any substantial fraud.  It was really just a pillow guy who believed it and a narcisit president who liked the idea.

2.  Level of hatred?  Trump got a large group of people to storm the capital looking to hang his vice president.  I don't remember any president who had that loyal of a group of people.  Trumps lowest approval rating was 36.4% on December 16, 2017.  Biden's lowest approval rating is 36.0% on July 20,2022, and it continues to drop.  The Democrats are even looking to get Biden off the ticket, his own party doesn't like him so much.

3. Press doesn't care?  The mainstream press leans Republican and they have been brutal toward Biden, chasing after every little thing his son does...

4.  I think both sides are touting the stupid policies of Biden.  The Republicans stood pretty firmly with Trump, but the Democrats aren't even standing next to Biden. (https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/07/05/biden-democrats-newso...)

5.  I agree on the stimulus programs.  I didn't like them when Trump started them and I don't like them under Biden extending them.

6.  I would say, for me personally, Trump was one of the worse presidents.  I would say that Regan was miles away better than Trump.  The only thing I will give Trump credit for was getting judges through, but that was more his administration and McConnell.  Otherwise Trump was all over the place, saying one country was his friend and then two days later telling them they were stupid.

7.  DeSantis is miles away better than Trump.

Again, just my opinions. I don't think either president was/is very good.  You have one who was dangerous because he didn't know what he was doing, and another one dangerous because he can't remembre what he is doing.

Dan Miller's picture

dgszweda wrote:
...

3. Press doesn't care?  The mainstream press leans Republican and they have been brutal toward Biden, chasing after every little thing his son does...

...

???????????????????????????????????????

After declaring Hunter's laptop to be "Russian disinformation," they continue to pretty much ignore the story. 

Yeah, I'm flavored. But the flavors have shifted drastically. It was a Democrat who said, "Ask not what your country can do for you." They left that thinking a LONG time ago and are squarely in the "Demand your country to do things for you" camp.

Fox leans Republican. CNN, MSNBC, and NPR lean socialist. 

-------

One thing I do agree with: Trump was wrong to sign the "stimulus" payouts in early COVID. I get why he did it, politically. But it was a huge mistake.

WallyMorris's picture

"The only thing I will give Trump credit for was getting judges through, but that was more his administration and McConnell." - If Trump had not been President, there would not have been an administration to find Constitutionally conservative Supreme Court nominees. Yes, McConnell deserves much more credit than he got for the new Justices during Trump's term as President. But it WAS Trump's term as President that allowed him to do that.

Wally Morris

Charity Baptist Church

Huntington, IN

amomentofcharity.blogspot.com

dgszweda's picture

Dan Miller wrote:

 

dgszweda wrote:
...

 

3. Press doesn't care?  The mainstream press leans Republican and they have been brutal toward Biden, chasing after every little thing his son does...

...

 

???????????????????????????????????????

After declaring Hunter's laptop to be "Russian disinformation," they continue to pretty much ignore the story. 

Yeah, I'm flavored. But the flavors have shifted drastically. It was a Democrat who said, "Ask not what your country can do for you." They left that thinking a LONG time ago and are squarely in the "Demand your country to do things for you" camp.

Fox leans Republican. CNN, MSNBC, and NPR lean socialist. 

-------

One thing I do agree with: Trump was wrong to sign the "stimulus" payouts in early COVID. I get why he did it, politically. But it was a huge mistake.

There are hundreds and hundreds of stories about Biden's laptop every month.  The NY Post published 23 in June alone.  Fox News has more viewers than CNN and MSNBC combined.  In fact, Fox News holds the 7 top News Shows in the country and 9 of the top 10 for TV.  5 of the top 10 radio shows are conservative talk stations.  The top online news shows are conservative.  It is just the liberal stations that have ignored it.  The flipside is that Trump brought his whole family into the White House, all with dubious ties to industry and leveraging their new status for personal gain.  The liberal media and the various DOJ departments went after it.  Some are still going after it.  The conservative media (now the mainstream media) ignored it.

dgszweda's picture

WallyMorris wrote:

"The only thing I will give Trump credit for was getting judges through, but that was more his administration and McConnell." - If Trump had not been President, there would not have been an administration to find Constitutionally conservative Supreme Court nominees. Yes, McConnell deserves much more credit than he got for the new Justices during Trump's term as President. But it WAS Trump's term as President that allowed him to do that.

You didn't really need Trump to do it.  Any conservative president would have put together a slate of conservative judges.  McConnell, not Trump, was credited with pushing the judges through.  It was McConnell that held openings the last two years of Obama's term, including the Supreme Court seat.  The White House staff (a position my cousin held under the Bush Administration) that puts together the judges and works along side the Head of the Senate and their staff to get these to the floor.  It is the Senate staff, that gets it through the Senate.  Trump made it a priority, but in the end it was a ton of hussle and foresight on McConnell's part that set the stage and secured the judiciary for decades.  McConnell set the stage long before the name Trump was on a ballot.

WallyMorris's picture

I understand all of that (I have a political science degree). But the only 2 final candidates in 2016 were Clinton & Trump. If Clinton had been President, none of the Supreme Court decisions we appreciate today would exist. In 2016 I voted for Trump, even though I detested the man personally. I despised Clinton even more. In 2020 I voted for Trump, even though I still detested the man personally. I despised Biden even more. Biden won, and now we live with the consequences.

Wally Morris

Charity Baptist Church

Huntington, IN

amomentofcharity.blogspot.com

AndyE's picture

dgszweda wrote:

You didn't really need Trump to do it.  Any conservative president would have put together a slate of conservative judges.  McConnell, not Trump, was credited with pushing the judges through.  It was McConnell that held openings the last two years of Obama's term, including the Supreme Court seat.  The White House staff (a position my cousin held under the Bush Administration) that puts together the judges and works along side the Head of the Senate and their staff to get these to the floor.  It is the Senate staff, that gets it through the Senate.  Trump made it a priority, but in the end it was a ton of hussle and foresight on McConnell's part that set the stage and secured the judiciary for decades.  McConnell set the stage long before the name Trump was on a ballot.

The only thing I would say about this is that Trump selected more reliable conservative justices.  Reagan and the Bushes, while they did nominate some winners, had some real losers, too.  I do think it would be a disaster to put Trump back in office, and I really hope Republicans will nominate someone different, but I have to give him credit for nominating good justices. 

dgszweda's picture

AndyE wrote:

 

dgszweda wrote:

 

You didn't really need Trump to do it.  Any conservative president would have put together a slate of conservative judges.  McConnell, not Trump, was credited with pushing the judges through.  It was McConnell that held openings the last two years of Obama's term, including the Supreme Court seat.  The White House staff (a position my cousin held under the Bush Administration) that puts together the judges and works along side the Head of the Senate and their staff to get these to the floor.  It is the Senate staff, that gets it through the Senate.  Trump made it a priority, but in the end it was a ton of hussle and foresight on McConnell's part that set the stage and secured the judiciary for decades.  McConnell set the stage long before the name Trump was on a ballot.

 

The only thing I would say about this is that Trump selected more reliable conservative justices.  Reagan and the Bushes, while they did nominate some winners, had some real losers, too.  I do think it would be a disaster to put Trump back in office, and I really hope Republicans will nominate someone different, but I have to give him credit for nominating good justices. 

 

My response is going to be more nuanced.  But Trump moved more conservative (more right on the political spectrum) judges through the process.  That was solely the result of McConnell's iron grip on the Senate, his multi-year foresight, and the deals that he worked.  Regan and Bush did not have as great of a Senate control and therefore had to find judges not so right of the spectrum to get them through.  The conservative hold on the judiciary is significantly more a result of McConnell than anything Trump did.  The one thing that I will give credit to Trump was that he set a mandate on his administration to not leave any judge position open.  That has not always been a mandate set by previous presidents.

Bert Perry's picture

Conservative Presidents have done better than liberal ones, but I've got to give Trump credit; he figured out that if you want strict construction, you need to go to Heritage and the like.  Neither Bush figured this one out, and we're suffering the consequences.

Hopefully DeSantis and others remember this.  I don't like Trump's character.  But he did bring blue collar workers back to the GOP, along with Hispanics and not a few blacks, by actively fighting for them.  That, and judges, was a real accomplishment.

Aspiring to be a stick in the mud.

Aaron Blumer's picture

EditorAdmin

1. You talk as though the election was proper and that's a foregone conclusion. The election was very close.

It was close. No, there was not enough illegality to change the outcome. And no, absentee voting isn't laziness. (I don't think you really want to take the position that doing something an easier way vs a harder way is always laziness.)

2. Tons of stuff about Trump was simply manufactured. Russian collusion? That was the product of his political opponent. The level of hatred toward him is breathtaking.

I'm not sure what the relevant point here is. Surely not, "X is hated, therefore X is wonderful."

3. The level of corruption in the current presidency is unbelievable. And the press does. not. care.

 Again, not seeing the relevance. "Current admin is awful, therefore the previous one was great?" ... or is it "presidents from two opposing parties can't both be bad for the country"? Neither of these holds up.

4. They're going to pass off Biden's failure as due to dementia. But it's his stupid policies.

Nothing that Biden does or that "they" say about him budges Trump one millimeter on the presidential fitness scale. See #3. Additional bad leaders do not make other leaders any better.

5. We need to STOP paying people not to work. I cannot hire people to work, and I'm offering new workers about what I paid experienced staff 4 years ago. I am constantly dealing with "supply chain" problems.

I don't disagree. I don't see how this makes Trump a better human being though.

6. Trump is a self-centered, pompous, rude, self-indulgent, self-justifying, jerk. And maybe the best president in recent memory. 

Well, you are half right.

7. My wife, while she would vote for Trump, is REALLY hoping he doesn't run again. I get that. There are several that I would kind of prefer to have on the "R" ticket JUST so that hopefully the irrational HATRED people have for Trump wouldn't be a factor again and PERHAPS SI doesn't have to become overloaded with abject stupidity....

She's on the right track. On "abject stupidity"... I'm not sure if that's a reference to my thoughts on the topic or someone else's. Either way, an insult is not a counterargument. (I'm not offended, though. I have committed abject stupidity multiple times over the last several weeks! So... guilty. Not here, though, I don't think. IRL, as they say.)

I don't think we actually disagree on this particular point: It would be better for all involved if someone better than Trump were the GOP nominee in 2024, and there are several that would probably be better. (I'm sure I see a much higher probability than you would, but we'd agree that it's "probable"?)

Views expressed are always my own and not my employer's, my church's, my family's, my neighbors', or my pets'. The house plants have authorized me to speak for them, however, and they always agree with me.

Bert Perry's picture

Trump's issues are more obvious, but I would suggest that at a certain point, the things that the Democrats have been doing, weaponizing government agencies against their political opponents, are even more sinister.  It's just more presentable because it doesn't show up well on TV, and quite frankly because the media don't cover it well.

LOTS of issues are a danger to our republic here.

Aspiring to be a stick in the mud.

dcbii's picture

EditorModerator

Dan Miller wrote:

2. Tons of stuff about Trump was simply manufactured. Russian collusion? That was the product of his political opponent. The level of hatred toward him is breathtaking.

Actually, I think the "hatred" toward him is also completely manufactured, but from the point of view of those espousing it, necessary.  It's what Trump represents that the opposition hates.  The "elites," however you want to describe them, love power and wealth, and their wealth and power increase with forced "green" programs, open borders, war, and trade deals that advantage others than the U.S.A.

Trump, in spite of his flaws (and you laid out a lot of them in your point 6), is someone who, at least much of the time, actually was willing to act on behalf of us unwashed, non-elite classes, so the elites have to do whatever they can to destroy him, because our values (and little "inconveniences" like the U.S. Constitution) are a threat to their wealth and power.  If Trump's opponents succeed, and Trump can't run and is replaced by someone like DeSantis, watch the knives and manufactured hatred come out even more toward him than it did toward Trump.

Trump is simply a proxy for us, nothing more.  He was just willing to get down dirty and fight, unlike many previous Republicans.  It's too bad the vessel was so flawed, but even if he hadn't been, I'm unconvinced that that would have changed the level of "hatred."  If DeSantis becomes the nominee and is willing to fight, he will be the target and Trump will be nothing more than something used to tar his replacement.

Trump is hardly the clean, principled "Mr. Smith" from "Mr. Smith goes to Washington," but what is arrayed against him is eerily similar to what was portrayed there against Smith.  DeSantis doesn't have many of Trump's negatives, but that won't stop the same types of fake "evidence" from being "found" or "uncovered" against him, should he become the nominee.

Dave Barnhart

dgszweda's picture

I am from Florida, and while Desantis still plays into some of the conspiracy and dumb Trump narratives, he is significantly more capable than Trump was.  He speaks much better.  He graduated from Yale and then Harvard Law School.  He was in the US Navy and has held a number of political offices.  While he may get ripped by some parts of the media, he is miles ahead of qualifications, communication and ability to execute than Trump was and so he will hold his own.  He did very well in defending the Parental Rights in Education Act.  I have met him a few times and know people in his circle, and in my opinion Trump should just move out of the way and let DeSantis on by.

dcbii's picture

EditorModerator

dgszweda wrote:

I am from Florida, and while Desantis still plays into some of the conspiracy and dumb Trump narratives, he is significantly more capable than Trump was.  He speaks much better.  He graduated from Yale and then Harvard Law School.  He was in the US Navy and has held a number of political offices.  While he may get ripped by some parts of the media, he is miles ahead of qualifications, communication and ability to execute than Trump was and so he will hold his own.  He did very well in defending the Parental Rights in Education Act.  I have met him a few times and know people in his circle, and in my opinion Trump should just move out of the way and let DeSantis on by.

I don't think you'll get much disagreement on this from about anyone here.  He has less negatives, is definitely better spoken, and it appears so far that he's willing to fight hard against the opposition.  If DeSantis decides to try for the presidential nomination, I'd certainly vote for him over Trump in the primaries (and hopefully also the general election).  I do still think that if he's the nominee, he'll generate as much opposition and hatred as Trump did, because in the end, their "hatred" is not really about Trump.

My "defense" of Trump is only as it concerns him vs. Clinton or Biden.  I still think he's better than either, and in spite of his negatives, I'd still vote for him over Biden or mostly anyone who would replace Biden (like Newsom).  And I don't apologize for that.  I'm just hoping I don't have to make that choice.

Dave Barnhart

Bert Perry's picture

Let's not forget how George W. Bush was treated.  You will rarely find a nicer guy, but the left quite often compared him to Hitler.  Some of the vitriol directed at Trump was earned, but the reality is that any Republican will get it because the Republican stands in the way of the progressive left.  For that matter, when even Obama or Biden did something that wasn't quite progressive, the long knives came out there, too.  It's an unfortunate, but real, pattern.

Aspiring to be a stick in the mud.

Dan Miller's picture

dcbii wrote:

 

Dan Miller wrote:

 

2. Tons of stuff about Trump was simply manufactured. Russian collusion? That was the product of his political opponent. The level of hatred toward him is breathtaking.

Actually, I think the "hatred" toward him is also completely manufactured, but from the point of view of those espousing it, necessary.  It's what Trump represents that the opposition hates.  The "elites," however you want to describe them, love power and wealth, and their wealth and power increase with forced "green" programs, open borders, war, and trade deals that advantage others than the U.S.A.

Trump, in spite of his flaws (and you laid out a lot of them in your point 6), is someone who, at least much of the time, actually was willing to act on behalf of us unwashed, non-elite classes, so the elites have to do whatever they can to destroy him, because our values (and little "inconveniences" like the U.S. Constitution) are a threat to their wealth and power.  If Trump's opponents succeed, and Trump can't run and is replaced by someone like DeSantis, watch the knives and manufactured hatred come out even more toward him than it did toward Trump.

Trump is simply a proxy for us, nothing more.  He was just willing to get down dirty and fight, unlike many previous Republicans.  It's too bad the vessel was so flawed, but even if he hadn't been, I'm unconvinced that that would have changed the level of "hatred."  If DeSantis becomes the nominee and is willing to fight, he will be the target and Trump will be nothing more than something used to tar his replacement.

Trump is hardly the clean, principled "Mr. Smith" from "Mr. Smith goes to Washington," but what is arrayed against him is eerily similar to what was portrayed there against Smith.  DeSantis doesn't have many of Trump's negatives, but that won't stop the same types of fake "evidence" from being "found" or "uncovered" against him, should he become the nominee.

If you asked me 6 months ago, "Do you want Trump in 2024?" I'd have said No, let's move on.

But the Jan6 committee has changed my mind. It is injustice masquerading (badly) as justice and the best response is to oppose it directly. The democrats/liberals have shown on multiple occasions a willingness to bold face lie for political reasons and the last thing I'd want to see is that working. 

Ken S's picture

Trump watched the insurrection for 3 hours and did absolutely nothing. I can't think of any other president who would not have taken immediate measures to bring the insurrection under control. I don't believe the Jan 6 committee can portray Trump in a bad enough light. My opinion only, of course.

Bert Perry's picture

Trump had also, four days prior to the demonstration, offered the National Guard to protect the Capitol, and was turned down.  

Aspiring to be a stick in the mud.

Joel Shaffer's picture

Trump had also, four days prior to the demonstration, offered the National Guard to protect the Capitol, and was turned down.  

I really find it fascinating for someone who is usually logical and factual will believe the narrative from the Trump camp about the National Guard but refuses to testify under oath about it (Meadows) but is so quick to dismiss fellow Republicans who testified under oath that it wasn't the case such as Chris Miller.  

Also, you seemed to deflect Ken's observation about Trump's inaction and lack of leadership on January 6th. If we ignore Trump's 3 hr. inaction while the Rioters sacked the Capitol, We have truly set the bar at one of the lowest point for our nation's leadership in our nation's history. Trump's inaction demonstrates that he isn't qualified. Just in case you might respond and bring up Biden, I don't think he's qualified either due to his mental state.  

Pages