Hi All, A great topic regarding how a complementarian would view women in the church was brought up and if anyone has time to discuss various views and scenarios in the church, I'd love to discuss it, too. Specifically in regards to:
1) What age group do you think the transfer should happen when women stop teaching "children" and men take over the bulk of the teaching?
2) Does anyone Scripturally believe that a woman cannot teach a women's bible study? If so--why?
3) Do you think if a woman is teaching an all-woman's Sunday School class on Sunday morning or some other sort of teaching is going on and a man walks into the room and sits down--a) the woman should stop teaching; b) continue on teaching, but not look at the man; c) ask the man to leave; or d) explain to the group what the bible says about women teaching to men? I've also heard this type of scenario repeatedly happening with a popular woman's speaker at her church and have read her explanation on why she continues to teach, with her church's full support.
4) Do you think it's biblically appropriate for women to share their thoughts on Scriptures in Sunday School where men are present?
5) What about small group settings where men are present, either in a church building or in a home?
6) How does one explain I Tim. 3:1 where Paul writes to the office of elder (I think) and just addresses to men/he/ and then in verse 8 switches to the office of Deacon and goes on to men and women using, from what I can tell, the word "likewise"? Am I misunderstanding this?
As honest as I can be, I really am more curious than debating it. I have strong opinions about what the bible says about a woman's role at home, but have (much) less understanding and study about a woman's role at church. While our church holds to the office of Deacon for a woman, and I agree to a point, I'm also desiring to come to my own conclusion as faithfully as I have about my conclusions about women at home.
I'm appreciative of anyone's time to discuss all or part of these questions (or others anyone else may have).