What is your view about being filled with The Holy Spirit?

I believe in a 2nd blessing experience (not repeated) with or without tongues
0% (0 votes)
I believe that the baptism of the Spirit and filling are the same thing and are subsequent to salvation normally
6% (1 vote)
I believe all believers are baptized by/in/with the Spirit and we can be repeatedly filled with the Holy Spirit
67% (12 votes)
I believe that being filled with the Spirit simply means setting your mind on the things of the Spirit and not to be asked for
22% (4 votes)
Other (try to approximate to avoid this if possible)
6% (1 vote)
Total votes: 18
1778 reads

There are 5 Comments

Ed Vasicek's picture

When discussing the Holy Spirit and his filing, it is difficult to express all the choices and shades of belief common today -- at least in poll questions. I have tried to capture some common views, although they can admittedly overlap.

For example,

Quote:
"I believe all believers are baptized by/in/with the Spirit and we can be repeatedly filled with the Holy Spirit"
can overlap with,
Quote:
"I believe that being filled with the Spirit simply means setting your mind on the things of the Spirit and not to be asked for."
I am hoping that respondents will understand that the latter presupposes the former.

Do you give much attention to being filled, or do you assume that walking with the Lord means you will automatically be filled with the Spirit? Post your view and share your heart with us about the Divine Comforter.

"The Midrash Detective"

Chip Van Emmerik's picture

Quote:
Do you give much attention to being filled, or do you assume that walking with the Lord means you will automatically be filled with the Spirit?

I think this nails it.

Why is it that my voice always seems to be loudest when I am saying the dumbest things?

christian cerna's picture

The Gospel narrative explains the differences between the two baptisms.

The first is John's Baptism, the baptism of repentance, and outward manifestation of your repenting of your sins. (Which any person can take part in. Hence you have Pharisees coming to be baptized by John.) This is not a guarantee of salvation.

The second is the Baptism of the Lord Jesus Christ, or baptism of the Spirit, which is the inward baptism of Christ, which he does through the regeneration of the Spirit, and is a seal of God, and His guarantee that you will inherit eternal life.(Only those who are truly born from above can experience this baptism)

Jim's picture

Ephesians 5:18-19:

Quote:
And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit, 19 speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord

Colossians 3:16:

Quote:
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

Almost looks like either:

  • Filled with the Spirit = letting the Word of Christ dwell in one richly OR
  • The concepts are very close
JasonBoyle's picture

Jim Peet wrote:
Ephesians 5:18-19:

Quote:
And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit, 19 speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord

Colossians 3:16:

Quote:
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

Almost looks like either:

  • Filled with the Spirit = letting the Word of Christ dwell in one richly OR
  • The concepts are very close

Completely agree- we are filled with the Spirit by letting the Word of Christ dwell in us richly- there is no filling of the Spirit apart from the Word!