Do the blessings God gave to Isaac and Ishmael bear any special relevance today (Genesis 17:17-22)?

Poll Results

Do the blessings God gave to Isaac and Ishmael bear any special relevance today (Genesis 17:17-22)?

The Jews (descendants) of Isaac are in some sense specially blest but not the Arabs (Ishmael) Votes: 1
The Jews are in some sense specially blessed and the Arabs specially blest in a lesser way Votes: 5
The blessing of Abraham extends only to believers in Jesus; genetics have no relevance in any sense. Votes: 0
The Jews are not now under the blessing of Abraham will be specially blest in the end times only Votes: 0
The blessing is particular to Christ alone, and he shares it with those “in” Him Votes: 0
Other Votes: 0
The Jews and Arabs are now both equally blessed as descendants of Abraham Votes: 0
Not only are the Jews not blessed, they are particularly cursed Votes: 0

(Migrated poll)

N/A
0% (0 votes)
Total votes: 0

Discussion

Romans 3:1-9 Then what advantage has the Jew? Or what is the value of circumcision? 2 Much in every way. To begin with, the Jews were entrusted with the oracles of God. 3 What if some were unfaithful? Does their faithlessness nullify the faithfulness of God? 4 By no means! Let God be true though every one were a liar, as it is written, “That you may be justified in your words, and prevail when you are judged.” 5 But if our unrighteousness serves to show the righteousness of God, what shall we say? That God is unrighteous to inflict wrath on us? (I speak in a human way.) 6 By no means! For then how could God judge the world? 7 But if through my lie God’s truth abounds to his glory, why am I still being condemned as a sinner? 8 And why not do evil that good may come?—as some people slanderously charge us with saying. Their condemnation is just. 9 ¶ What then? Are we Jews any better off? No, not at all. For we have already charged that all, both Jews and Greeks, are under sin,

(Just to be ornery, I’ll add that I see the benefits possessed by covenant children today as being analagous to the benefits possessed by Jews in the OT.)

My Blog: http://dearreaderblog.com

Cor meum tibi offero Domine prompte et sincere. ~ John Calvin

The origin of this poll is based on Genesis 17:17ff (NASB)
15 Then God said to Abraham, “As for Sarai your wife, you shall not call her name Sarai, but Sarah shall be her name. 16 I will bless her, and indeed I will give you a son by her. Then I will bless her, and she shall be a mother of nations; kings of peoples will come from her.” 17 Then Abraham fell on his face and laughed, and said in his heart, “Will a child be born to a man one hundred years old? And will Sarah, who is ninety years old, bear a child?” 18 And Abraham said to God, “Oh that Ishmael might live before You!” 19 But God said, “No, but Sarah your wife will bear you a son, and you shall call his name Isaac; and I will establish My covenant with him for an everlasting covenant for his descendants after him. 20 As for Ishmael, I have heard you; behold, I will bless him, and will make him fruitful and will multiply him exceedingly. He shall become the father of twelve princes, and I will make him a great nation. 21 But My covenant I will establish with Isaac, whom Sarah will bear to you at this season next year.” 22 When He finished talking with him, God went up from Abraham.
Charlie, regarding Romans 9:9, Paul is clear that in the sense of personal salvation, Jews have no advantage (other than having an amazing spiritual heritage). On that point I agree with you. The question is really not about advantage, however, but blessing.

"The Midrash Detective"