Four people you never heard of who are influencing your kids

"According to a recent study from Morning Consult, those are the four most influential people to millennials and Generation Z. The thing they all have in common? YouTube." - Facts & Trends

869 reads

There are 6 Comments

dgszweda's picture

Well I am almost 50, and I would say YouTube is my predominate channel for media.  In fact, my kids and I watch YouTube together.  PewdDiePie is definitely the top on YouTube, but I am not sure I would classify the other 3 as top, there are so many other ones out there with more influence in my opinion.  I would say some of my other big channels I watch are Jon Olsson, Mr JWW, Mr Beast, Petrolicious, Casey Neistat, plus a whole lot more.

TylerR's picture

Editor

Don't know who they are, and kids don't have smartphones, so they don't know these people are, either. I feel like a fossil; my big influence lately has been Thomas Watson ...

Tyler is a pastor in Olympia, WA and an Investigations Manager with a Washington State agency. He's the author of the book What's It Mean to Be a Baptist?

Mark_Smith's picture

dgszweda wrote:

Well I am almost 50, and I would say YouTube is my predominate channel for media.  In fact, my kids and I watch YouTube together.  PewdDiePie is definitely the top on YouTube, but I am not sure I would classify the other 3 as top, there are so many other ones out there with more influence in my opinion.  I would say some of my other big channels I watch are Jon Olsson, Mr JWW, Mr Beast, Petrolicious, Casey Neistat, plus a whole lot more.

My goodness... I watch a lot of YouTube... but its sermons mostly, and old documentaries. I have never heard of one person you list.

Andrew K's picture

TylerR wrote:

Don't know who they are, and kids don't have smartphones, so they don't know these people are, either. I feel like a fossil; my big influence lately has been Thomas Watson ...

Same here.

I've heard of PewdDiePie, but that's just because he's hit MSM due to getting on the wrong side of the woke crowd for... something. Not even sure what.

I'll one-up you here though, Tyler, b/c all my big influences, by this time, probably are fossils. Biggrin Watson might not be quite there yet.

mmartin's picture

I've heard of PewDiePie, but have no idea what he does.

Jeffrey Star = pure freak show.  I've seen pictures and headlines about him, err, her, whatever he/it is.  I'd rather poke a sharp stick in my eye than watch that trash.

The other fine folks, never heard of them.

Andrew K's picture

mmartin wrote:

I've heard of PewDiePie, but have no idea what he does...

I can tell you that, but it's not going to help:

He, umm... uploads videos of himself playing video games.

And millions of people watch them.

No, I don't get it either.