Should Christians Read the Qur'an?

2255 reads

There are 10 Comments

CPHurst's picture

I my religions class in college we had to read 100 pgs of this and had the option of opting out of it if we felt it would violate our conscience. I read it with no problem but I could see how some could not. 

Chip Van Emmerik's picture

Not what I was expecting when I clicked through. I appreciated the article.

Why is it that my voice always seems to be loudest when I am saying the dumbest things?

Dave Gilbert's picture

After reading the article, my perspective remains unchanged...and the first thing to pop into my mind was, " Should I as a believer read Anton LaVey's Satanic Bible as well?" I think not.

The word of God is sufficient for everything, starting with conversion ( 2 Timothy 3:16-17 ). No need to read the Koran ( Qur'an ) to know that Islam is idolatry. Preach the truth in love and see what happens; More often than not, it will end up like something I saw a while back on YouTube, where a group of believers went to an Islamic Festival in Dearborn, Michigan...interesting video involving real persecution.

 

Additionally, I took note that this article was on "Christianity Today", which is known for many things, but not its strict adherence to the Bible. I've seen articles on there that 30 years ago would have never been there...and I have to ask, "Why?" I already know the answer though.

 

Dave.

Chip Van Emmerik's picture

Dave, Either I missed something in the article, or I missed something in your post. The author of the article was unequivocal in his stand that Christians not read the Koran. It seems you take the same position.

Why is it that my voice always seems to be loudest when I am saying the dumbest things?

Jim's picture

Chip Van Emmerik wrote:

Dave, Either I missed something in the article, or I missed something in your post. The author of the article was unequivocal in his stand that Christians not read the Koran. It seems you take the same position.

Read the entire article .... 3 views presented

Chip Van Emmerik's picture

Now that's the article I expected from Christianity Today.

Why is it that my voice always seems to be loudest when I am saying the dumbest things?

Shaynus's picture

I read it at Bob Jones for Middle East History class. Not every Christian should read it. There is a type of Christian who's mind is a vacuum sucking in whatever they hear without a filter. These are the kind of Christians who can read Joel Osteen and John Piper and not notice the difference. They should not read it. But for those with Muslim friends or coworkers, they should read it in conjunction with other books that explain what's going on and how the Koran actually influences what Muslims believe. The doctrine of perspicuity doesn't work for the Koran Smile I was actually encouraged after I read it by how set apart the Bible is in its self-authentication. 

To the clean all things are clean.

Dave Gilbert's picture

Shaynus wrote:

I read it at Bob Jones for Middle East History class. Not every Christian should read it. There is a type of Christian who's mind is a vacuum sucking in whatever they hear without a filter. These are the kind of Christians who can read Joel Osteen and John Piper and not notice the difference. They should not read it. But for those with Muslim friends or coworkers, they should read it in conjunction with other books that explain what's going on and how the Koran actually influences what Muslims believe. The doctrine of perspicuity doesn't work for the Koran Smile I was actually encouraged after I read it by how set apart the Bible is in its self-authentication. 

To the clean all things are clean.

 

Perhaps it might be that the type of Christian whose mind is a vacuum, is one in name only, without the Holy Spirit of God leading him / her...or it could be, that they are babes in Christ, carried about with every wind of doctrine and haven't yet grown in their discernment. I recommend every believer get in their bibles and grow in grace and knowledge, without resorting to other books and teachings. Smile

 

Dave.

Shaynus's picture

Dave Gilbert wrote:

Shaynus wrote:

I read it at Bob Jones for Middle East History class. Not every Christian should read it. There is a type of Christian who's mind is a vacuum sucking in whatever they hear without a filter. These are the kind of Christians who can read Joel Osteen and John Piper and not notice the difference. They should not read it. But for those with Muslim friends or coworkers, they should read it in conjunction with other books that explain what's going on and how the Koran actually influences what Muslims believe. The doctrine of perspicuity doesn't work for the Koran Smile I was actually encouraged after I read it by how set apart the Bible is in its self-authentication. 

To the clean all things are clean.

 

Perhaps it might be that the type of Christian whose mind is a vacuum, is one in name only, without the Holy Spirit of God leading him / her...or it could be, that they are babes in Christ, carried about with every wind of doctrine and haven't yet grown in their discernment. I recommend every believer get in their bibles and grow in grace and knowledge, without resorting to other books and teachings. Smile

 

Dave.

 

I just have to observe that even in this post you are being a teacher, Dave. This makes your post a "teaching." Should people not read your post and instead just read the Bible? The Bible is the rule for our faith and practice for sure but it's not thing only thing we should be reading. If a believer were picking up the Koran to grow in their knowledge of God, they've already lost. If they pick it up to know their neighbor better in order to win them to Christ, that's a different thing.

Dave Gilbert's picture

that you did not understand my previous post as teaching, I intended it to be as exhortation. Smile

 

In truth, I don't mean to offend nor to usurp the authority of the Holy Ghost to teach God's children ( God forbid ), but to point to Scripture and also to relate what I've learned from it.  I have posted in previous threads about these types of topics ( that is, "should Christians read _____" ) and my stand remains the same...Scripture is all we need, truly. 2 Timothy 3:16-17 clearly states, " All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. "

 

So, I maintain, and always will, that God's word is all that a believer really needs. Taken at face value, 2 Timothy 3:16-17 is true, isn't it?

 

Then why do we need to read the Qur'an, or the Satanic Bible, or the writings of Ellen G. White or Mary Baker Eddy, or the Book of Mormon...the list goes on ( and some will say to me, "but Dave, we don't need to read them, but it could be helpful and valuable " perhaps, but think about this: believers in the years before the printing press had little to nothing in the way of anything else to read except Scripture, and they didn't need those things to preach the truth, did they? ). Undoubtedly, and there have already been many to challenge my assertion, there will be quite a few on this forum who disagree with me...many who have somehow found some redeeming features in other's literary works.

Please make no mistake...what I'm not talking about are writings by other Christians that point people back to God's word for its authority, nor am I speaking about writings that relate a person's testimony about how God has worked in their lives...

 

At the heart of all this, I'm talking about religious books written by idolaters who are not of Christ. By the way, I too was curious about the Qur'an in my younger years ( and mythology, and Catholicism, and Mormonism, and a host of other things )  but I no longer find it necessary  ( nor even helpful ) to read the writings of unbelievers to find out what they believe. If I were to preach to them, I would only need God's word...if that's not enough, they're not going to listen anyway, plus, I would probably get caught up in "strifes of words " which would lead nowhere as well.

 

Should we read the Qur'an?At this point I personally would say, "no"...do we need to read the Qur'an to preach to Muslims? No.

 

 I hope that helps to clarify things a bit. Wink