Adding Regular Corporate Shouting of Praise in Our Worship

Based on the considerable amount of data in Scripture that shows the musical importance of shouting, I believe that churches would do well to add regular corporate shouting of praise to God to their other musical worship activities.

3222 reads
Kevin Miller's picture

RajeshG wrote:

 

Kevin Miller wrote:

Doesn't the line between "individual" and "corporate" become a little fuzzy when we talk about individual believers gathering together for corporate worship? For example, when the offering plate is passed, and we put our money in it, is our act of giving an individual act of worship or are we participating in corporate worship by giving together. It seems to me it's a bit of both, so individual acts can certainly be a part of corporate worship.

 

One important consideration to keep in mind is that what is done when an offering is taken is preplanned and orderly. Another is that giving in an offering is not an aspect of our verbal worship about which God has given us controlling considerations in 1 Corinthians 14 and elsewhere.

Yes, the time in which the offering is taken is preplanned, but an individual act of worship within that time period can be spontaneous. Imagine a man with 10 bucks in his pocket. The offering plate reaches him and he suddenly thinks, "I should give my 10 bucks to God." He gets it from the pocket and throws it in the plate. His action is certainly spontaneous and definitely an act of worship within the corporate offering time.

I'm not sure what difference the "verbal" part plays in regards to whether an act of worship is individual or corporate or both. Perhaps you could explain why that would be an important consideration to keep in mind.

RajeshG's picture

Kevin Miller wrote:

It may be "best," in your particular church culture, for everyone to act in unison as they shout in praise, but many churches do not consider it disorderly for people to be shouting in praise individually during, say, the preaching time. That is not disorderly for them at all. For them, it would be odd if it didn't happen.

The argument that some things in Scripture are not authorized by God for continual observance is the same argument I would make for verses that deal with Israelite worship in the Old Testament. We are in the Church Age now, so verses that deal with the way Israelites worshipped God may be profitable for us to understand, they are not necessarily applicable to us today "for what we should do in corporate worship." Would you agree?

Yes, not everything about Israel's worship necessarily applies to us today. I am not basing what I am saying in this thread merely on what the Israelites did in worship.

Kevin Miller's picture

RajeshG wrote:

Yes, not everything about Israel's worship necessarily applies to us today. I am not basing what I am saying in this thread merely on what the Israelites did in worship.

I realize that. I even remember you promising you would write an article using New Testament verses about shouting.

The reason I brought up the Triumphal Entry was because you said you couldn't think of any passages that had individuals shouting in a group of people. The shouting done during the Triumphal Entry certainly seemed to me to be individuals shouting various phrases. Earlier in the thread, I wondered if shouting was simply something that was part of Israelite culture, and you told me that the command to shout was given to all people and that all of the Bible is profitable to us for our doctrine and practice. So i was rather surprised that you immediately dismissed my passage of Scripture as not being applicable to our corporate worship. I understand your reasoning, since there are a lot of things about Israelite worship practices that I don't think are applicable to us today, whether they were part of one-time events or whether they were regular temple practices. As I said, I'm just surprised that YOU made that point.

RajeshG's picture

Kevin Miller wrote:

 

I realize that. I even remember you promising you would write an article using New Testament verses about shouting.

I said that I would probably write at least one more article. I am still studying . . .

Kevin Miller wrote:

The reason I brought up the Triumphal Entry was because you said you couldn't think of any passages that had individuals shouting in a group of people. The shouting done during the Triumphal Entry certainly seemed to me to be individuals shouting various phrases. Earlier in the thread, I wondered if shouting was simply something that was part of Israelite culture, and you told me that the command to shout was given to all people and that all of the Bible is profitable to us for our doctrine and practice. So i was rather surprised that you immediately dismissed my passage of Scripture as not being applicable to our corporate worship. I understand your reasoning, since there are a lot of things about Israelite worship practices that I don't think are applicable to us today, whether they were part of one-time events or whether they were regular temple practices. As I said, I'm just surprised that YOU made that point.

The command was given to all people and still applies to all people. What I am doing in this discussion is presenting how that command is to be practiced in our day.

Although the Triumphal Entry passages are in the NT, that was still worship by the Jews.

Concerning what we are to do in NT corporate worship in a local church, 1 Corinthians 14 is a key passage that guides us. It might be helpful for you to do some more study on that passage.

To help with that, I am attaching a PDF of a document that has just the text plus highlighting of every word that speaks about verbal activities in a worship service. As you will see from that document, such verbal activities are almost exclusively the focus of what we are directed to do in that chapter.

Larry's picture

Moderator

Doesn't the line between "individual" and "corporate" become a little fuzzy when we talk about individual believers gathering together for corporate worship? For example, when the offering plate is passed, and we put our money in it, is our act of giving an individual act of worship or are we participating in corporate worship by giving together. It seems to me it's a bit of both, so individual acts can certainly be a part of corporate worship.

Perhaps but not really. The act of giving doesn't take place whenever you feel like it. There is a time that everyone does it together. So with singing, you don't pick your own song to sing and then belt it out. You sing what everyone else is singing. Why is speaking different? You can imagine the distraction (perhaps even chaos) if people did giving and singing the way some do shouting ... whenever they feel like it and whatever they feel like. 

Jay's picture

Why is speaking different? You can imagine the distraction (perhaps even chaos) if people did giving and singing the way some do shouting ... whenever they feel like it and whatever they feel like. 

Exactly.  This is the very reason why Paul had to admonish the church in 1 Cor. 14:26-40 - because the church worship gatherings were a chaotic disaster with people speaking whenever they felt led to do so.

"Our task today is to tell people — who no longer know what sin is...no longer see themselves as sinners, and no longer have room for these categories — that Christ died for sins of which they do not think they’re guilty." - David Wells

Pages