I know some parents aren’t very computer or internet savvy, and they are a bit mystified as to how to keep their kids safe and yet allow them to use the resources available on the internet. There a list of tips for parents outlined here.
Set Appropriate Boundaries and Provide Intentional Oversight for Social Media.
• Follow Website Rules and Safety Tips, and Set Privacy Settings.
• Set-up a closed circle of “friends.”
• Don’t allow kids to add new “friends” without your permission.• Don’t allow your kids to provide any personal information.
• Don’t allow kids to set up multiple profiles using multiple email accounts.
• Make it clear that you intend to be a “friend” and will regularly check your child’s profile.
• Have your kids agree to tell you if they receive any inappropriate or threatening messages.
• Set clear expectations about cell phone use.
• Set clear expectations about video websites.
• Follow Through With Consistent Discipline.
Social media is here to stay. How your child consumes it can impact her or his life for better or for worse. Be proactive by providing loving guidance and discipline. And, be sure to throw in good measures of patience and grace. In doing these things, you’ll be helping your child grow into a mature and responsible adult.
Do you think this is a good list? What are your concerns about allowing your kids to use ‘new’ technologies like mobile phones and the internet? Do you have any practices in particular you find beneficial that you’d like to share?