Easter 2011 Plans

Forum category
‘Tis the year of the “drama” for us here at Mt. Tabor. We try to do a rotation of sorts and our Easter program is up to do a drama. We are preparing to do “The Easter Lily” from Majesty. It is included in their choral book “Times and Seasons”. We are purchasing octavos instead of the books so we can change up the music a bit. It will still be mainly Hamilton stuff, which my small to medium size volunteer choir really enjoys singing.

Song 1: Christ Arose by Lloyd Larson - a fresh look at “Low in the Grave…”

Song 2: Lift Him Up by Hamilton

Song 3: It’s Friday, But Sunday’s Comin’ by Hamilton

Song 4: Calvary’s Blood by Hamilton

Song 5: It Was for Me by Boroling / arr. Lopez

Song 6: Made Me Free by Danner

Classic Hamilton and Wilds. Believe it or not, I am just introducing a couple of these “classic” songs to our choir. It should be a fun experience.

The major challenge here will be with our endurance. These are all big songs so I may cheat and have the organ double the voice parts, we’ll see.

What do you folks have rolling in the way of Easter prep?

Mod Note: fixed spelling in title -Jay C.

Discussion

For our Good Friday service I am planning a protestant requiem. Bradley Ellingboe’s REQUIEM uses a few traditional Latin texts (Kyrie, Sanctus), but also uses “The Lord’s Prayer,” Psalm 22, and devotional poetry by Donne and Herbert. Written in 2002, it uses enough 20th century compositional techniques to be interesting and educational, but is very “listenable” for my church family.

Our Easter looks more like a service than a “cantata” this year. Because I am directing a play in February, we will not be doing any drama. I am using a structure I found in a cantata that I probably would never buy: “No More Night.” I like the theme and structure. And we will be using the title song because my pastor really likes it. Also using:

“Redeemer” by Michael Bryson (Uses the text “I will Sing of My Redeemer”, pub. by Lorenz)

“When I Survey” arr. Dan Forrest (I’d like to have it start with a solo, then add choir for second stanza, then add congregation for third stanza, and end as it began with solo. We’ll see.)

“I Know that My Redeemer Lives” arr. Dan Forrest (four hand piano)

‘In Christ Alone” arr. Hayes

“Crown Him with Many Crown” arr. Larson

(Not in that order) The congregation will join in singing “Crown Him” and “When I Survey.” I’ll probably tie the songs together with a brief paragraph between songs and having the congregation read Scripture for each song.

FWIW, I really like Craig Courtney’s new setting of “Rock of Ages” and Rasbach’s “Nothing but the Blood,” but I can’t fit them in this year.

Dave