2 Corinthians 10:3-5 versus so-called "legalism"

In my Bible reading this morning, I read this passage and have been meditating much on it this morning:

2 Cor. 10:3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:

4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)

5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

This passage points to what I believe is a great problem in the lives of many believers today—faulty notions about so-called “legalism” that have led many believers astray so that they devalue the importance of their obeying the commands of God.

Discussion

Modifying one word in 2 Cor. 10:5 plainly reveals just how important obedience is in what the Spirit said.
5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
5[MODIFIED] Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the [love] of Christ;
Comparing what the Spirit did say with what He could have said (the modified version of 10:5) but didn’t say underscores that this passage stresses obedience and not love. It is not “legalism” in any sense to stress the importance of our obeying the commands of God.