1950s and Christian America

So, I recently found out that two elements of our “Christian nation” are of relatively recent origin. The pledge of allegiance was composed in 1892, but the words “under God” were added in 1954. Further, the motto “In God We Trust” started appearing on coins and such after the Civil War, but didn’t become the U.S. official motto until 1956. So, my question is, what was going on in the 1950’s that resulted in these Christianizing acts of state?

Discussion

I have never studied that, but my first guess would be Billy Graham crusades.

As I understand the situation, the Cold War against “Godless Communism.”
[Charlie] So, I recently found out that two elements of our “Christian nation” are of relatively recent origin. The pledge of allegiance was composed in 1892, but the words “under God” were added in 1954. Further, the motto “In God We Trust” started appearing on coins and such after the Civil War, but didn’t become the U.S. official motto until 1956. So, my question is, what was going on in the 1950’s that resulted in these Christianizing acts of state?

Hoping to shed more light than heat..

[Mike Mann] It’s because I was born in 1951. :)
How could we have missed that! Of course it was because you born then. It makes so much sense now.

The phrase “under God” was actually backed by the Knights of Columbus. The second stanza of “The Star-Spangled Banner” includes the phrase “And this be our motto, in God is our trust!” When I was elementary school during the late 1960s, it was usually pointed out that all Americans could agree with these, regardless of our religion (I would say the vast majority of Americans were monotheists), and were not regarded as specifically Christian statements then.