Maranatha's clever "I'm Gunna Apply" video

Pastor Joe Roof's picture

Personally - I think it's cool and clever.

Personally - I can see the article coming out on several blogs condeming the influence of Broadway on MBBC

Personally - I would like to invite the other colleges to submit videos done in similiar fashion. It will be fun to watch.

dmicah's picture

This is what you get when you cross Glee with Walmart.

I suppose no one thought to tell the high school senior main character to take off his wedding band during filming.

Jim's picture

Use of "gunna" shows a deficiency in their English department!

Joking ... I really like it!

Sounds like something from Oklahoma! or Music Man

DavidO's picture

dmicah wrote:
This is what you get when you cross Glee with Walmart.

Which is the exact image a Christian College would want to cultivate, I'm certain.

The thing is full of young energy and humor. ... which is what all of the young people I know are full of.
Though lots of "kids" need to sober up, I love the fact that they do not view life as a sequence of heavy responsibilities and dead serious choices.
The truth: life really is packed with both of those things but joy and humor are among the responsibilities.
(Lately, if I didn't laugh every day at least once, I'm pretty sure I'd die. Thank God for humor!)

Edit: the Glee reference is well intended, but not all that accurate... it's more like "Broadway meets Walmart"... But let's remember what most college promos have been like. From what I remember they were kind of "Disney meets Billy Sunday" or maybe "History Channel meets Sunday School." None of these are "the exact image a college wants to be known for," but they're ways to get a message out.

PLewis's picture

Aww it was cute and catchy ..

I give it a 90 .. fun to listen to .. but you shouldn't dance to it..

0:)

SDHaynie's picture

Aaron Blumer wrote:

Aaron, I laughed so hard I literally fell out of my chair with these comparisons! Funny, but strangely accurate. Or another one...(shall I show my age and loyalties?)..."missionary slide show meets LifeAction taped backgrounds"

Shawn Haynie

SamH's picture

is what we look for from the school. It communicates something about them. Let's not be all hatin' about it.

SamH

I don't think anybody's hatin' ...

I didn't research, but I suspect MBBC has some "serious" promos, too. It's just that nobody links to those. (...boring? It's human nature. I suspect that of the top ten most valuable articles we posted at SI in 2011, eight got the lowest read counts of the year. Maybe I'm being cynical?)

dmicah's picture

totally wasn't hating...just pickin... Smile

but Aaron, Glee is on target b/c of the in school singing & students...not all the negative cultural baggage of the show itself

a less joking marketing/branding observation is that it missed something pretty obvious....young ladies.
unless Maranatha is an all guys school, they really dropped the ball in integrating their future better half.
Are guys gonna be driven to a school with no girls? Are ladies gonna be attracted to a school where their presence is an afterthought?

just a reminder that even a good idea done well can miss a key element of its intended purpose.

Paul J. Scharf's picture

You guys analyzed this in a way I never could have. Guess I don't have a future as a movie critic... H:)

What I noticed was a very unique and novel, fun video. It was obviously shot in very high quality – although I don't know if it can compete with http://effectualgrace.com/2012/03/01/king-james-onlyism-exposed-again/ Sam Gipp's new video in that regard. Cool

Seriously, my alma mater does an extremely good job in the areas of marketing, publicity, communications, promotion, etc. The school is to be commended for that. There are many Christian institutions that could benefit from studying their high standards in this regard.

Editor in Chief – Dispensational Publishing House

Bible Teacher, Minister, Educator, Author, Journalist

MClark's picture

Actually, somebody must have thought of it, because the ring comes and goes in the video. The mystery is why, if someone thought of it, they didn't retape the portions where he was wearing it. ??? Regardless, it's a fun idea and fairly well-executed.
Ditto to the comment about the missing girls, though. Maybe their target demographic with this video were guys who want to study theology. Biggrin

Brent Marshall's picture

Viewing this reminded me of the "Admissions Office" video that MBBC had up and then pulled down in the spring of 2009. This shares some (thankfully, not all) of the same issues. Did they not learn from the last time?

Things That Matter

As the quantity of communication increases, so does its quality decline; and the most important sign of this is that it is no longer acceptable to say so.--RScruton

dmicah's picture

MClark wrote:

Perhaps they should develop a full production musical that teaches Systematic 1 & 2. Maybe the title would be something like, Sound of Musicology or Pneuma of the Opera. Charles Ryrie could have a cameo. There could be a little song attached to the Greek alphabet with the do, re, me tune from Sound of Music...

alpha - a male, a leader male
beta - brand new software fun
gamma - a ray i must avoid, unless I want to become spider man

and so on.....;-)

SDHaynie's picture

I wasn't hatin' either. In fact, I was recalling with fond memories setting up the "slide show" promo and running it when I travelled with the Northern Li.....er, the ensemble from Northl....um, my alma mater. For the technology of the day it was sharp, professional, looked and sounded good, represented the college well, and we saw a LOT of people show interest in the school as a result of it.
I also wanted to comment on how it struck me funny how accurately Aaron typified some of the other promos of other colleges back in the day and how PR strategies and styles have changed over the years.
It's kind of like thinking back on how "Special Effects Spectaculars" have changed over the years. I remember being enthralled with "2001: A Space Odyssey" and with "Star Trek: The Movie" back in their day. Today, my kids look at them and can't catch the story because they're too busy laughing at the "cheesiness" of the special effects.

Shawn Haynie

Pastor Joe Roof's picture

When is the SI Admin team and Moderators going to finish there video -"I'm Loggin In To SI?"

Jim's picture

Pastor Joe Roof wrote:

It's in Post-Production

We need additional funds to finish it up! S E N D M O N E Y N O W

SamH's picture

is what some expect from the school. It communicates something about them. And apparently what they communicate is okee dokee with those in the highest levels. Meh.

SamH

SamH's picture

as a pastor of congregation with young'uns coming up in our church, should I be at all concerned that this kind of thing/marketing blurb/commercial (whatever is meant to be) is the tool of choice meant to draw our younguns to a school which claims to be intent on teaching them to soldier on as the next generation representing a Christianity that is supernatural and earth-shaking? (Trying my hand at a run on sentence--I think I succeeded.) Without someone making reference to how great/silly other medium were from previous iterations of MBBC or other schools, if this came from a "nooevgelical" school, wouldn't some of you have been all over it (if not now, maybe some years ago?)

I don't have a BJU/MBBC/NBBC or the like fundy college experience, so I don't know how "crazy" or "silly" or _________________ you all could be, but I saw this and I threw up in my mouth a little. If someone comes back and says something like "college should be fun" or the like, I get that. But, unless they were going to Westboro Baptist College of Divinity, would you truly need to tell kids that your college is fun?

But I see this, and I think of the times when children (or their parents) whine about how children's activities "aren't fun, they are too serious." And I think of how much time IS fun in a child's life, and how little of it is devoted to seriousness, especially in terms of biblical pursuit. Their experiences in our church are often the only "serious" times in life.

This doesn't quite express what I mean, but (and I'm a big "grace not law" guy) it feels out of place. To use Bauder's lingo is this portraying a fundamentalism worth saving? ('member, I said no hatin' earlier).

SamH

Brent Marshall's picture

SamH wrote:

You should be concerned. Definitely. When put out in this way, one can reasonably infer that the production indicates what is deemed important to the institution (and thus worth their emphasizing to inform their audience) or important to its prospects (and thus worth emphasizing to appeal to them). Thus, I conclude that the production reflects the values of the institution or of those they wish to draw. That is troubling.

Maybe there is a notion that prospective students will find this light-hearted, relevant, or otherwise appealing. But consider the persons who find that this pitch makes the school appealing. Are they the types of persons it really wants as students? Are they the ones most likely to develop into the sober-minded leaders that the church needs in these perilous days? I think not. Moreover, this will turn some sober-minded prospects away. As one who has been considering colleges for my son, I do not find this appealing in the least. It leads me to doubt that the institution understands the need of our day, that it has the sober-mindedness necessary to provide an environment most conducive for spiritual and academic growth, and that it will cultivate the right affections in those who attend. It inclines me to turn away and look elsewhere.

SamH wrote:

For similar reasons, I would say that these comments reflect the (misplaced) values of the "whiners." I can understand this, to a degree, coming from a child. But as children grow, they need to be taught so that they know better. I am greatly troubled when this comes from adults, who should know better. The fact that this sentiment is as common as it is reflects poorly on our institutions (and I am thinking broadly here, not merely our educational institutions).

SamH wrote:

I think that the answer to this is rather evident, now. But your reference reminds of his address on the issue. Here is an excerpt worth pondering:

Dr. Kevin Bauder, "A Fundamentalism Worth Saving" (AACCS, Feb. 2, 2005) wrote:
We must be or become sober—and oddly enough, that is an exact description of the kind of fundamentalism that is most worth saving.

Scripture repeatedly exhorts us to exhibit the virtue of sobriety. Sobriety is a qualification for bishops, deacons, and their wives (1 Tim. 3:2-11). Old men in general are to be sober (Titus 2:2). Younger men and women are to be taught sobriety (Titus 2:4-6). In view of the end of the age, sobriety is held up as an essential virtue for the Christian life (1 Pet. 4:7).

What is sobriety? Put simply, it is serious-mindedness. Sober people are serious about their ideas, their words, and their conduct. They weigh the importance of what they think, and they envision the consequences of what they say and do. They refuse to treat life as if it were a game, and they regard no aspect of life as too insignificant to be held up for examination.

Would that we would grapple with this, take it to heart, and live it.

Things That Matter

JG's picture

Brent Marshall wrote:

My son looked at it, and said, "Looks like their standards are going." He's not looking for a school right now, but if he were, it just plummeted on his list.

Sam, it hasn't gotten a pass on SI because it's a fundy school, it's gotten a pass because many of the SI members who won't be comfortable with it have given up on discussing this kind of thing here.

SamH's picture

Brent and JG, thanks for the notes. Have a good Lord's day.

SamH

Robert Byers's picture

My fear is that those who say this type of advertising is the best way to attract today's students are right. We have adapted so thoroughly to the customs and language of our culture that most see nothing wrong with replacing the joyful noise with a Glee-ful one. We have reared successive generations who have like Lot drifted closer and closer to Sodom, but so gradually that the change goes unremarked. Where and how will young people attracted by such methods learn that those methods themselves are anathema? Worldly oxcarts make for poor results when moving sacred arks.

The words of Nehemiah come to mind (and his reaction is instructive as well): "And their children spake half in the speech of Ashdod, and could not speak in the Jews' language, but according to the language of each people. And I contended with them, and cursed them, and smote certain of them, and plucked off their hair, and made them swear by God, saying, Ye shall not give your daughters unto their sons, nor take their daughters unto your sons, or for yourselves." (Nehemiah 13:24)

The fun of the Lord is not the beginning of wisdom.

Brent Marshall's picture

Robert Byers wrote:

I fear that, as to significant numbers of believers, you are right. I agree that there is a problem with such methods. I would go a step further and suggest that such methods reflect a problem with what the practitioners value and, fundamentally, with what and whom they love. Sin is deceitful like that.

On one hand, I think that that an institution's use of appeals of this sort is a symptom of problems elsewhere. As I said in response to Sam, the fact that the "too serious, not fun" sentiment is so common reflects poorly on our institutions, and that includes major problems in our homes and churches. This reminds me of something that Sam wrote:

SamH wrote:

Yet unfortunately, in an increasing number of instances, church times are not so serious either. Jim points to that when he writes:

Jim Peet wrote:
Um ... have you recently checked out the typical Fundy youth group?

Sad, is it not? It tends to perpetuate the problem, for from what I have seen, as the youth become the adults of the church, they carry their values and associated preferences with them. Thus, issues in the youth group can become issues in the church as a whole.

All that said, I do not think that an institution's use of appeals like this is a symptom only of problems elsewhere. I think that it also reflects problems at the institution itself. Many parents and pastors contributing to these problems in homes and churches are perpetuating what they learned in school. Then, as their children return, the school perpetuates the issues further. In sum, we have a vicious cycle here.

Things That Matter

Greg Long's picture

I'm sorry, but some of the reactions to this video just boggle my mind. Could someone who objects to it tell me what, specifically, in the video is objectionable?

It can't be the music, because it is certainly tame.

Is it because it's a "fun" video? Well, I never knew "sober-minded" meant "no fun." I'm sure this isn't the only way Maranatha promotes their school. I'm sure they have plenty to say about academics and spiritual formation in their materials and on their web site.

As far as the "Glee" factor, I would be the first to say that I don't understand how any Christian could watch that show. But people have been singing (and even lip syncing) on video long before Glee came along. What about this video makes it a "Glee" video?

-------
Greg Long, Ed.D. (SBTS)

Pastor of Adult Ministries
Grace Church, Des Moines, IA

Adjunct Instructor
School of Divinity
Liberty University

Chip Van Emmerik's picture

Puh-leeze

Anyone who says they can't see the difference between Marantha's and Liberty's videos is just being ridiculous! Perhaps they would also have trouble telling the difference between a BJU orchestra cd and a guns and roses cd.

Why is it that my voice always seems to be loudest when I am saying the dumbest things?

Brenda T's picture

I'm rather ambivalent about the Maranatha video and wasn't trying to insinuate that it is the same as the Liberty one, so perhaps the "Puh-leeze" and "Ridiculous" response was a bit over the top. I truly wanted to know from all those who have taken the time to publicly praise the Maranatha video if they find it clever, etc. in the same way as the Liberty video. If they don't, it would be helpful to know why not.

Jim's picture

Brenda T wrote:

Just to clarify my own view. One can view something as clever but not praise it. I think both videos are clever.

If I were 18 (oh to be 18 again!) I would choose Liberty over MBBC. Not based on the videos but rather on the educational opportunities

Liberty: http://www.liberty.edu/index.cfm?PID=6908 (I would pick Engineering: Computer)

MBBC: http://www.mbbc.edu/academics/majors (zero options in Engineering)