Rick Warren: "Join me today in fasting and prayer for the 115 Cardinals..."

5060 reads

There are 20 Comments

Chip Van Emmerik's picture

Are you kidding?????

 

God's will for their new leader is that they bend the knee to the throne of heaven and give up this open rebellion against His leadership in their petty pursuit of human religion.

Why is it that my voice always seems to be loudest when I am saying the dumbest things?

Jay's picture

I would write more, but I have to stop beating my head against the desk first.  SMH.

"Our task today is to tell people — who no longer know what sin is...no longer see themselves as sinners, and no longer have room for these categories — that Christ died for sins of which they do not think they’re guilty." - David Wells

TylerR's picture

Editor

Is Rick Warren really fasting? Just asking . . .!

Tyler is a pastor in Olympia, WA and an Investigations Manager with a Washington State agency. He's the author of the book What's It Mean to Be a Baptist?

Easton's picture

"...I will be having a burrito tonight..."

Hate to guess the color of that smoke.

DrJamesAch's picture

No way would I miss a meal when Scripture already says who it is. Rev 13:18, Daniel 9:27, Daniel 8:25, 2 Thess 2:4, Rev 17:3-4,9.

Perhaps after the smoke clears, he will write "The Purpose Driven Pope".

Dr James Ach

What Kills You Makes You Stronger Rom 8:13; 7:24-25

Do Right Christians, and Calvinisms Other Side

Jay's picture

I'd encourage any SI members to reply to that tweet with Scripture, not for Warrens' sake, but for the sakes of the people who believe in what that man says.

"Our task today is to tell people — who no longer know what sin is...no longer see themselves as sinners, and no longer have room for these categories — that Christ died for sins of which they do not think they’re guilty." - David Wells

Shaynus's picture

I think we should pray for the cardinals to elect a man who would see the light of the gospel and lead the Catholic church to embrace it. Is that so far fetched? I definitely wouldn't say that sentiment is the same of Warrens,' but is our God that small that we can't pray that an apostate church wouldn't elect a cardinal/pope who could be gloriously converted? What could happen if the largest "church" on the face of the planet had a second Reformation, this time from the top? Why can't we pray for that and leave Rick Warren's cheap wishes behind.

Jim's picture

DrJamesAch wrote:

No way would I miss a meal when Scripture already says who it is. Rev 13:18, Daniel 9:27, Daniel 8:25, 2 Thess 2:4, Rev 17:3-4,9.

Perhaps after the smoke clears, he will write "The Purpose Driven Pope".

 

On whether the anti-Christ will be "the Pope:"

  • I know that this has been considered "settled" as in the Westminster Confession (see Chapter 25: "There is no other head of the Church but the Lord Jesus Christ. Nor can the Pope of Rome, in any sense, be head thereof; but is that Antichrist, that man of sin, and son of perdition, that exalts himself, in the Church, against Christ and all that is called God") And The Baptist Confession of Faith (1689) (see Section 26: "The Pope of Rome cannot in any sense be head of the Church, but he is that antichrist, that man of sin, and son of perdition, who exalts himself in the church against Christ and all that is called God, who the Lord shall destroy with the brightness of His coming.")
  • In my own view this is not settled. He could be someone else. 
TylerR's picture

Editor

I don't think the evidence from Daniel 7 supports the Pope = antichrist view. 

Tyler is a pastor in Olympia, WA and an Investigations Manager with a Washington State agency. He's the author of the book What's It Mean to Be a Baptist?

Jim's picture

Shaynus wrote:

I think we should pray for the cardinals to elect a man who would see the light of the gospel and lead the Catholic church to embrace it. Is that so far fetched? I definitely wouldn't say that sentiment is the same of Warrens,' but is our God that small that we can't pray that an apostate church wouldn't elect a cardinal/pope who could be gloriously converted? What could happen if the largest "church" on the face of the planet had a second Reformation, this time from the top? Why can't we pray for that and leave Rick Warren's cheap wishes behind.

Answer: Of course God can do anything. 

The new "converted" Pope would have centuries of history to overturn. One would think that there could be a palace revolt if such a hypothetical pope tried to overturn Roman Catholic settled doctrine. Such as:

I would think that one could just as soon pray for the Grand Imam of al-Azhar

Jay's picture

TylerR wrote:

I don't think the evidence from Daniel 7 supports the Pope = antichrist view. 

 

 

There is a fascinating book by Joel Richardson that hypothesizes that the Antichrist will actually be the same person as the Islamic Mahdi.  It is a compelling argument; it looks like there is actually a second volume on the similar lines out as well.

 

 

"Our task today is to tell people — who no longer know what sin is...no longer see themselves as sinners, and no longer have room for these categories — that Christ died for sins of which they do not think they’re guilty." - David Wells

Michael Riley's picture

After all, he's on record that, because of the size of his ministry, he has few guys "in his tribe" from which he can learn. Why not learn from the original mega-/multisite church?

(Note: I am not advancing a serious argument here.)