Recently, George W. Bush, the president of the United States, addressed the country on the topic of illegal immigration. It’s time. According to a recent Gallup poll (April 7-9, 2006),
- 81% of Americans believe that illegal immigration is “out of control.”
- 96% believe that controlling U.S. borders to halt the flow of illegal immigrants into the U.S. is important.
- 48% think building a wall along our border is a good idea.
- 60% think we should deny illegal immigrants access to schools and hospitals.
- 81% say we should significantly increase the number of officers patrolling our borders.
- 84% want to institute tough penalties for businesses who employ illegals.
The president has authorized the use of the National Guard to secure the border with Mexico. While the president has many critics on this issue, even in his own party, his administration has not been inert in responding to illegal immigration. According to the White House,