We Must Heed the Vital Message of 1 Corinthians 10:18-20

1 Corinthians 10:18-20 provides vital instruction that every believer must heed:

1 Corinthians 10:18 Behold Israel after the flesh: are not they which eat of the sacrifices partakers of the altar? 19 What say I then? that the idol is any thing, or that which is offered in sacrifice to idols is any thing? 20 But I say, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not to God: and I would not that ye should have fellowship with devils.

To eat in a worship context of what has been sacrificed on an altar to an idol is to be a partaker of the altar. To do so is also to have fellowship with demons!

Such fellowship with demons is not contingent upon a person's having to offer the sacrifices himself. Anyone who eats of such sacrifices comes into fellowship with demons.

The passage also does not provide any basis to say or to hold that this only happens sometimes--in a worship context, anyone who eats what has been sacrificed to an idol has fellowship with demons. God does not want any humans to have fellowship with demons!

45177 reads
josh p's picture

Rajesh (or others that may know), has Kanye stopped the sale of all of his previous sinful music? Not sure if he can do that or if the rights technically belong to the record label but I personally would not speak of him as being converted as you have until I see some type of biblical repentance. Also, it's in his best interest to talk about his "devil music" since evangeliscals will eat it up.  

RajeshG's picture

josh p wrote:

Rajesh (or others that may know), has Kanye stopped the sale of all of his previous sinful music? Not sure if he can do that or if the rights technically belong to the record label but I personally would not speak of him as being converted as you have until I see some type of biblical repentance. Also, it's in his best interest to talk about his "devil music" since evangeliscals will eat it up.  

Josh,

I do not know anything more about this matter than what these links provide. Had I spoken of him as merely one who professes to have been saved, there would have been those who would have reproached me for doubting the reality of his salvation.

In any case, I agree that there must be fruits of repentance in the life of any truly converted person. We will have to wait and see how things develop in his life.

Ron Bean's picture

As I read what Kanye said and heard what he recently produced, it appears that he has renounced the wicked lyrics of hip-hop but not the genre. BTW, it is my understanding that his previous work would be owned by the producers and is no longer his property. 

"Some things are of that nature as to make one's fancy chuckle, while his heart doth ache." John Bunyan

GregH's picture

I wish Kanye the best. But to be honest, I think he is stone cold crazy.

And really, that new album he dropped yesterday is horrific on every level. It is beyond awful musically in particular. There is that one track where he has the beeping noise going at a slightly different tempo than the song itself. Beyond stupid. And I could not stop laughing about the Chick-fil-a song. How in the world did CFA get so intertwined with Christianity that it belongs on a "Jesus" album?

Can I assume that Rajesh will be condemning Kanye's Christian music style soon? Or is he exempt from Rajesh's sweeping judgment because he is a new believer?

TylerR's picture

Editor

If Kanye wants to be a real Christian, he should join an IFB church and be sure to attend Hyles-Anderson, Fairhaven or Providence Baptist Bible College, where he'll learn about true Christian music and make Kim wear a skirt always. Haymen!?

Tyler is a pastor in Olympia, WA and an Investigations Manager with a Washington State agency. He's the author of the book What's It Mean to Be a Baptist?

Jay's picture

From the song Selah:

Everybody wanted Yandhi [referring to himself - Jay]
Then Jesus Christ did the laundry
They say the week start on Monday
But the strong start on Sunday

Won't be in bondage to any man
John 8:33
We the descendants of Abraham
Ye should be made free
John 8:36
To whom the son set free is free indeed
He saved a wretch like me

Hallelujah, hallelujah, hallelujah, hallelujah...
Hallelujah, He is wonderful

If you woke, then wake up
With Judas, kiss and make up
Even with the bitter cup
Forgave my brothers and drank up
Did everything but gave up
Stab my back, I can't front
Still we win, we prayed up
Even when we die, we raise up (Hallelujah)

And here's another:

How could He not be the greatest?
In my bed, under covers, when under-covers had raided
My presence is happy belated
Fashionably late, I'm just glad that you made it

The best is yet to come, I'm just glad that you waited
They all say they real till it's time to appraise it
I seen them come and go, you only the latest
But who am I to judge? I'm crooked as Vegas

Use this Gospel for protection
It's a hard road to Heaven
We call on your blessings
In the Father, we put our faith
King of the Kingdom
Our demons are tremblin'
Holy angels defending
In the Father, we put our faith

Lot of damaged souls, I done damaged those
And in my arrogance took a camera pose
Caught with a trunk of Barry Manilows
They sing a different tune when the slammer close
From the concrete grew a rose
They give you Wraith talk, I give you faith talk
Blindfolded on this road, watch me faith walk
Just hold on to your brother when his faith lost

"Our task today is to tell people — who no longer know what sin is...no longer see themselves as sinners, and no longer have room for these categories — that Christ died for sins of which they do not think they’re guilty." - David Wells

josh p's picture

To clarify, my point about Kane was not to doubt his conversion but only to suggest that he is probably not one to be appealing to in order to prop a musical position. I truly do want to believe that he is saved now but I think celebrity evangelicalism is a real problem so I am wary of it. I actual really enjoy the testimonies of several Christian hip hop artists and just finished Jackie Hill Perry’s, “Gay Girl, Good God” which I recommend and may even submit a review of for SI.

Ron Bean's picture

It appears that the possibility exists that the condemnations of rock music as demonic, etc. by rock musicians may be primarily a condemnation of the lyrics and not of the music (sans words) itself.

"Some things are of that nature as to make one's fancy chuckle, while his heart doth ache." John Bunyan

RajeshG's picture

josh p wrote:

To clarify, my point about Kane was not to doubt his conversion but only to suggest that he is probably not one to be appealing to in order to prop a musical position. I truly do want to believe that he is saved now but I think celebrity evangelicalism is a real problem so I am wary of it. I actual really enjoy the testimonies of several Christian hip hop artists and just finished Jackie Hill Perry’s, “Gay Girl, Good God” which I recommend and may even submit a review of for SI.

He made a relevant comment so I posted his relevant comment. If you think that his testimony is suspect or even automatically invalidated just because he is a celebrity, you can choose to take that position but doing so does not in fact show that it is suspect or invalid. Given that he has been a part of that industry for many years, he certainly is in a position to know what that industry and music is like.

Furthermore, I am not propping a music position by merely citing him. I have cited other people's testimonies that the music of rock music is demonic. Kanye's testimony is relevant because his is a very recent testimony of someone who has converted and not just a testimony of someone who was/is a rock musician but not a believer.

Pages